Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  Emergent rejpairs to kitchen, need help with decisions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergent rejpairs to kitchen, need help with decisions Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi, Im looking for help. We had a water leak due to a faulty hose, new hose that is from dishwasher to sink. Here's the deal, our homeowners insurance is doing a great job, an ins. claims came out Monday, that very day service master came out, great they are pushing forward so quickly, today is Wednesday and the service master people have torn up half my kitchen floor, all the lower cabinets, sink, stove top and the floor down to the subfloor as well as 1 foot up the wall behind where the cabinets used to be.
My concern? I thought I might get a new floor, now all of a sudden I need to get on it to pick out new kitchen cabinets, possibly new design, although I am greatful for the swiftness of everyones work, I mentally am not ready for this, don't even know where to begin for cabinets, or placement...the flooring company will be here tomorrow. Just need some quick, expert advice, wish someone would just come and do this for me...maybe they will? My refrigerator is fine, dishwasher is fine...they just had a faulty hose, it's only 15 months old. I'm really good at decorating, helping others, but for myself? This swift fast judgement call Im just at a loss...or I guess in shock. Had no idea they would be doing all of this.
Thank you to anyone out there who would like to comment.

Posts: 2 | Location: Need help with kitchen repairs pronto | Registered: Jun 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please reply asap, as this is happening so quickly and Im feeling desperate..thanks!

Posts: 2 | Location: Need help with kitchen repairs pronto | Registered: Jun 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are really stressed.
If it were me, I might call on a trusted friend, neighbor or relative that you admire or like their taste in decor? They can go shop with you to help find the best options. Make sure you know what limits the insurance puts on your choices too.

Insurance companies can sometimes recommend a professional willing to work with you too. Don't let them push you into decisions you are not ready to make. As long as the home is safe and secure to live in, I would think waiting a bit for decisions like this would be reasonable on their part.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re: the cabinets. It is unlikely they are replacing the uppers (it is an arguable point) since they weren't damaged so you will need to match or coordinate . Also you need to know the amount allowed. They are not paying for gold if you had gold plated for example.

I am with Conrad. Get someone you trust to help. It will ease your stress too to share it.

Posts: 7029 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
The good news is you can remodel your kitchen at this time and really only pay for about half of it since the insurance is going to cover the lower cabinets and the new floor.

If you liked your layout and keep the stove, dishwasher and sink in the same place it will be a relatively inexpensive upgrade to replace the upper cabinets.

One alternative, if the uppers are in good shape you can get them refaced to match the new lowers. Cost wise though it is about a wash. Service Master is used to people doing this, talk with their site manager about your plans, he can probably offer some suggestions.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6943 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post