Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  matte floor tile .....what to do
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

matte floor tile .....what to do Sign In/Join 
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted
I have matte floor tile throughout my home except for bedrooms. When we bought the house, I realized the tile grout was dirty. I tried everything under the sun to clean but it never really was clean. So I painted the grout....I got it at either Lowes or Home Depot. Here is my next problem. As I said since it is a matte and textured finish, it seems absorb the dirt. Is there anything I can do to conquer this problem? Even if I mop my floor every day (especially in the kitchen) it is grimy the next day. I have used a steam mop, a sponge mop, etc. The other thing I want to know, if nothing can be done about the tile, can you lay laminate flooring over it?

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5564 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, don't lay Pergo-type laminate over it. The laminate will break up. You may be able to use a floor leveler on the tile and then lay the laminate but I wouldn't guarantee it to a customer

Try waxing the floor tile. Maybe talk to a tile store about this.

Posts: 12183 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One customer some years ago had "Mexican Pavers" on a heavily traveled area of the house. Mexican Pavers are porous and usually hand made. They called in a pro to clean and seal them as they were hard to keep clean. Sound familiar? After cleaning, the pro applied several coats of an acrylic sealer.

Posts: 12183 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob, I am not sure but I don't think my tile are Mexican pavers but I might call in a pro and see what they can do. I have already "painted" the tile grout in the kitchen which was the worse room. Don't know if that will affect it to have them clean it.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5564 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post