Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  side by side refrigerator, freezer is too cold and ice buildup in bottom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

side by side refrigerator, freezer is too cold and ice buildup in bottom Sign In/Join 
posted
My side by side refrigerator, freezer portion is building up ice in the bottom and is freezing way too much even when turning it to the warmest setting. We have pulled it out defrosted the bottom, pulled out the bottom pan cleaned it and checked all the connection and vents and they appear to be clear. And it started having ice build up again within 2 days.
Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions without having to call someone out? Thanks

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect the setting device has failed, but I am far from an expert on this. I suggest you post your question to www.handymanwire.com in the appliance forum. They have a couple good guys there.

Post the brand and model number for best responses.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Fleming,

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
We also had the problem with ice forming in the bottom of the freezer department. We called the appliance repair place and had it cleared many times. The man said it was because things were getting caught and blocking the water egress.

Last time we decided to do the clean out ourselves and realized there was no way that things could be blocking the egress as it was vented with the metal slats in a downward position that was fixed. Anyway whatever we did worked and it has not happened since.

Can't remember if we adjusted the temp or not at that time. But we would have thought of it.

Posts: 12168 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with Bob to go visit the appliance forum at handymanwire. Frost free refrigerator/freezers have a defrost cycle that heats the sides of the compartment up to melt off the frost. I suspect something isn't kicking in to do this. Jeff at the forum will be able to help you out and if a DIY repair is possible he'll direct you to the most likely part you need. Sometimes these problems can be fixed by just doing a complete cleaning and manual defrosting of the unit.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6860 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your help, we will certainly try these suggestions before calling the appliance repair person. This weekend time to defrost and check everything once again..

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post