Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  Stopping Small Leaks in Exterior Polybutalene Main Pipe With Epoxy Putty
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stopping Small Leaks in Exterior Polybutalene Main Pipe With Epoxy Putty Sign In/Join 
Picture of greenangel
posted
Greetings Everyone! Called our regular plumber to fix small leaks in main water pipe paying him almost $300.00 for his temporary fix which he said would not work. (At least we now know where the easy to get to pin size leaks are!)The water is leaking on to our driveway into the gutter in front. In our 24 years here, we have never had this problem. He wants to replace the whole water main to the tune of about $2000.00. After reading about it on The Web, we plan to repair the minute leaks with Rectorseal Epoxy Putty. Has anyone here tried such methods? If so, how did they work? No, we are never calling this plumber again because of how he treated us.

*Member of The K.E.W.E.L. Jewels Club*
HalleluYah means
"Praise ye Yah"
Yahshua returns SOON!

Posts: 1342 | Location: Fountain Valley, CA 5 mi. from Disneyland | Registered: Jan 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt that epoxy will stick to the plastic pipe. I think you need to talk to the manufacturer of the epoxy. There may be other ways to cap the leak, like a compression clamp or the like.

$2000 to replace the water service pipe is not unreasonable; depends upon the layout. If I were that plumber I wouldn't guarantee anything but a pipe replacement. Sorry!

Posts: 12198 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of greenangel
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Bob, for at least replying! We are still working on it. The epoxy sticks but when
applying it, there is still a little leak coming. This time we have turned off EVERYTHING water and will apply more of the epoxy over more area. I will let you know what finally happens.

HalleluYah means
"Praise ye Yah"
Yahshua returns SOON!

Posts: 1342 | Location: Fountain Valley, CA 5 mi. from Disneyland | Registered: Jan 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of greenangel
posted Hide Post
Wow! It's been two days since our leak was repaired and we are so GLAD to have running water after SEVEN DAYS. No, the epoxy did not work on our leak. The epoxy itself seemed to be a little dried out to begin with. We had five plumbers who told us that we needed 70' of new copper pipe for thousands of dollars. One would repair the leak for $375.00 and a 90 day guarantee because the repair would NOT last. Josh (of Coast Plumbing, Heating & Air here in Orange County, CA) came and repaired it for $445.00 and one year guarantee. This he did by cutting out the bad pipe, putting a new pipe section in and clamping at both ends with PVC high pressure valves. Many homes built in the '70's through 90's have this polybutylene pipe especially in our area. It's good to know that it CAN be repaired! In this process we are very thankful that we seem to have found our new plumber! HalleluYah!

HalleluYah means
"Praise ye Yah"
Yahshua returns SOON!

posted Hide Post
Glad you found someone to do the repair for a reasonable price. I've been away from the computer mostly the last few weeks as we move to Ft Collins. We lived in Santa Ana for over 50 years, but I wasn't aware that polybutylene was that common in Orange Co. Thanks for letting us know how it all came out.

Posts: 12198 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of greenangel
posted Hide Post
2~19~5995 (out of 6000) in this "Twilight Zone Apocalypse"

Hi Bob! Just read your reply. I was born and raised in Denver, CO until I was 20 (1968). I have been here in Fountain Valley since 1989. I hope that you are having a wonderful life there.
We had to repair our mailbox (near the leak). The 1970's wooden post rotted out at the base and almost fell on top of me! However, the styrene barn mailbox is very durable. It was here when we moved in 1989. They still make them. (Flambeau on The Web.) I spray painted ours with colors that go with our home. (Dark red roof and tan building.)We put it on top of a pillar we cemented with pavers leftover from our driveway. Doing this we saved the 500.00 to $1250.00 estimates we were given over the phone.
DIY Blessings!

HalleluYah means
"Praise ye Yah"
Yahshua returns SOON!

Picture of greenangel
posted Hide Post
Oh, by the way, all the houses around here (built in the '70's) had these pipes installed by the builders. It's not a big deal to replace these pipes when you only have a few feet to replace. However, 70' becomes a bigger deal.

HalleluYah means
"Praise ye Yah"
Yahshua returns SOON!