Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  Medicine cabinet with electrical outlet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medicine cabinet with electrical outlet? Sign In/Join 
posted
My dilemma; my 97 yr old home has one outlet in the bathroom. Husband, son and myself each have a shaver; add to that an electric toothbrush, hair dryer and night light. Bathroom is small; bathtub is along outside wall; toilet and 24" vanity are on wall with tub plumbing, other wall has towel bars. I thought if shavers could be concealed in a medicine cabinet, then the top of my toilet wouldn't look cluttered. Problem; can't find medicine cabinet with electrical outlet inside of it. Am I dreaming? Does such a medicine cabinet exist?

Posts: 179 | Location: Lombard, IL USA | Registered: Sep 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I goggled it there were a number of cabinets with outlets but they did not state or show px of whether they were inside or out.

But with prices that I saw it would be cheaper to hire an electrician to make new outlets.

Posts: 7291 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
DD had two mounted in their master bathroom to the right and left wall side of the vanity area. But the outlets were made in the recessed wall and the cabinet was then mounted over the recess.
Basically a framed mirror hinged over the recessed wall area with shelves, with an outlet in the back wall. Lowest area had a pocket type of shelf, to hold shaver, hair dryer, curling iron and such. She even had a lighted swing out magnifying mirror put in her cabinet.

Much of this could be a diy project if you had an electric contractor run power/put in wall outlet to a suitable outlet location?

Posts: 9679 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post