Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rangetop Hood Sign In/Join 
posted
I know zip about remodeling and I bought a house with alot to do. It has an island cooktop which needs to be replaced but there is no vent and no place for one. There is a loft above the kitchen. I found cooktops with vents that go up and down. Will that solve my problem since there is no way I can see to put a vent to the outside? The one I looked at indicated it had to be vented outside also. How do they work? Any suggestions? Like I said .. I know zero and really need some help.

Posts: 1 | Location: Crosby, Texas | Registered: Mar 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By "loft" do you mean an attic space that is unfinished. If so, you can go right through it and vent it through the roof or out the side. Keep in mind the shortest route is the most efficient.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The down draft vents run the exhaust pipe under the floor and to the outside.

In my experience , which may differ from others, they are not as good as the overhead ones but they are better than nothing. The one I had was older and the new ones may be more powerful.

Posts: 7050 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post