Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  Bath to Shower Conversion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bath to Shower Conversion Sign In/Join 
Picture of headielamar
posted
I am seriously considering doing a bath to shower conversion for several reasons which I won't go into here. I got two quotes which were about the same price. One is for a surround made of a solid surface polymer that is pressed to look like tile. You can tell it isn't tile but you also don't have to deal with grout and it is easy to clean because it is smooth. The other quote is for tile so it would be harder to clean because of the grout and because it would be textured. But it's real tile. Any thoughts?

Posts: 2842 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Personally...I would probably go for the solid surface. Seems grout joints usually become a pain, eventually. We used Swanstone (sort of like Corian?) in a shower stall, after tearing out old tile. We use this shower daily and I like it as it is easy to squeegee off after using. (We have a glass door on this shower, and the squeegee takes only a minute and keeps it and the shower free of any residue.)

Posts: 9594 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Thanks Conrad - I was hoping you would respond. You always seem to give good advice.

Posts: 2842 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I've had both shower surfaces. Not much beats the beauty of gorgeous tiles, properly applied, but oh... that horrendous grout maintenance. Now that I'm 60+, nothing beats the ease of maintaining solid surface panels. It's my belief that as the population ages, SS is becoming the general preference.

Posts: 4476 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
That is my dilemma exactly - love the look of the tile but don't want the maintenance. I am 52 but plan to live in this home for the duration. I don't want to do this again so I think I really need to think about 'working smarter, not harder'!

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by headielamar:
I don't want to do this again so I think I really need to think about 'working smarter, not harder'!

You betcha. That's exactly what I thought when we remodeled, too. I haven't yet been sorry for the choice.

Posts: 4476 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16918 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post