Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  island range hood for 7'8" ceiling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

island range hood for 7'8" ceiling Sign In/Join 
posted
I am attempting to remodel my kitchen. I have a slide-in island range and need a range hood. I would like a stainless/glass model that can be installed with at least 30" between bottom of hood and top of range with a 7'8" ceiling. I have been unable to find any model that will adjust to those dimensions and am being told I will have to buy a model and then have someone customize it to fit.

Anyone know of a model that can adjust to the dimensions I mentioned?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think customizing one to fit SOUNDS like a good idea, but isn't likely to work out well. We had a custom-made stainless steel hood made for us in SoCA many years ago because our cook top was wider than typical and it wasn't terribly expensive. I forget the name of the company that did it but it was one of the big names. In our case all they had to do was take one of their standard designs and make it longer. The blower part of such a hood can probably be a standard part; it was in our case.

Posts: 12155 | Location: Ft Collins, CO USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't say what kind of adjustments you need. Having designed & renovated kitchens for 20 years, I can suggest that since the dimension between the cooking surface and underside of the hood should always remain at 30" for maximum efficiency, for a ceiling height of 7'-8" which is shorter than the standard 8'-0", you'll need a metal shop to cut the length of the chimney down. A shop that makes stainless steel counter tops should be able to do this easily. You may want to have them supply you with a trim piece that will cover the cut edges in case they aren't perfectly smooth and your ceiling isn't level. You're unlikely to find a stainless and glass island hood that adjusts to a ceiling height of less than 8'-0". Hope this helps!

Posts: 3 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post