Message Boards


  • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  What is this grout type stuff??
What is this grout type stuff?? Sign In/Join 
Picture of kriswrite
Below is a photo of the "grout" that runs between our tub and shower walls. I put "grout" in quotes because it's not traditional grout. It looks like it was some sort of pre-made,rubbery strip that was applied.

As you can see, it has terrible mold. I have tried treating it with bleach, but the mold stains persist. I'm think we just need to replace the "grout."

But can anyone tell me what the real name for this sort of "grout" is??


Posts: 1687 | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It is probably a one piece, preformed, vinyl strip that originally stuck with it's own adhesive strip. NOT water tight or mildew proof. I would get a blade holder, pair of pliers and maybe a 5 in one tool and remove it to see what the seam is like behind it. Hopefully (but I would not count on it) the moisture has not penetrated behind the shower walls.

If you can scrape it clean enough, kill all the mold, and gap is small enough, then use a 100 percent silicone caulk with a mildew-cide to seal the gap. But until you reveal what is underneath it is all guess work.
Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata    HGTV Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Kitchens & Baths  Hop To Forums  Kitchens & Baths How-To    What is this grout type stuff??