Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   Kitchens & Baths How-To
  Stainless Steel vs Solid Surface Sink?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Steel vs Solid Surface Sink? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Tennessee Woman
posted
I am trying to decide on solid surface countertops for my kitchen. Can't decide which of type sink would be best.

I am not planning on selling unless my health gets bad, and I have to go into other living arrangements. (Senior citizen!) I've always had stainless steel and like it. But the solid surface looks more up to date.

I know how to take care of S.Steel so no surprises there. I saw some beautiful ones on the manufacturer's website (Roth) Maybe I just answered my own question!

Would appreciate your comments on which you prefer.

Thanks

Posts: 692 | Location: Northeast Tennessee | Registered: Feb 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
This may not be typical, but two neighbors put in the solid surface counters with matching sinks. One had to have the sink replaced twice, contractors expense, due to warp/separation (counter and sink) and then cracking/crazing near the drain. The other neighbor also had issues with the counter and sink seam separating.

I really like the ease of use and taking care of a "quality" stainless steel sink. The cheap ones, not.

Posts: 9610 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
solid surface ill crack and warp if not done right and then it also depends on the cabinet bases and if they were installed right and are of good quality .If the are those cheap pressed board bases they do not hold up they warp with any kind of dampness and weight .Good quality wood bases do not have to cost a lot of money and will stand up to anything .Myself I like stainless steel sinks because the do not harbor bacteria just like stainless steel appliances .The composite sinks are pretty but they never seem to hold up to the test of time .They seem to scratch and stain easy and you have to spend money for cleaners or have them buffed out .I love the composite counter tops but just like anything they need care and upkeep .But then everything does .No matter what you buy it comes down buy what you like .There is good and bad in everything .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I have a solid surface counter with a stainless sink. Given how delicate the counters are, I wouldn't like the sink to be that material. Food stains, nicks, scratches, and pot marks are sure to be big issues with that kind of sink.
If I were you, I'd definitely go with stainless.

Posts: 4511 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tennessee Woman
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you for comments!

I am definitely thinking stainless steel is best choice.

Posts: 692 | Location: Northeast Tennessee | Registered: Feb 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I loved my solid surface farmhouse sink. Replaced my two-sink stainless style with one big sink. I picked the largest available. Loved being able to put any size pot down in the sink, big enough for a baby (can't we all remember bathing our babies in the kitchen sink??), and just so much more practical than these tiny two-sink designs. So of course we moved, and I'm back to stainless too-tiny kitchen sinks!

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 480 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
stainless steel double sinks do come in deeper and bigger bowls now .Mine can hold twin babies ,one in each sink ,my niece bathed her twins in mine .They are 6 months old and they had plenty of space to move around and even had room for there toys too .My sinks are deep also.I used to bath my sons in my sinks .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tennessee Woman:

You can have the best of both worlds now. Seamed under-mount in stainless steel. I've installed several of these, have one in my home, and the quality is outstanding: http://www.karranproducts.com/..._all&submit=Continue

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you pull up old posts to reply to and post links you sound like just another spammer. If you are not, you should just reply to current posts and don't use links until you are well known.

Posts: 7020 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post