Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet vent question Sign In/Join 
posted
My elderly mother and I are in the process of buying a home that was hand built (no contractor) in the late 60's. I noticed there is no vent through the roof above the toilet, but there is a small vent pipe up the outside wall (part way) from the septic tank. Is this safe, or should the toilet also be vented?

smartcatThumper

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: Feb 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
The plumbing system has to have a vent somewhere. It could be the pipe coming out of the wall if it is higher than the highest drain in the system. The drains would work VERY slowly if the system wasn't vented.

You are going to have this home inspected by a competent inspector right?

When I lived in England the waste lines on the houses there were all outside of the house and many weren't connected directly to the sewer but had a break between the house's plumbing and the public sewer.

My concern with your set up would be the distance between the pipe and the nearest window and if there were any soffit vents close by that could allow sewer gases to come into the attic.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6857 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is recommended that you should remodel your toilet. If possible a hire a plumbing expert who can help you to achieve your dream home.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post