HGTV Message Boards
Toilet vent question

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2074011632/m/1123975657

Feb 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
optomisty
Toilet vent question
My elderly mother and I are in the process of buying a home that was hand built (no contractor) in the late 60's. I noticed there is no vent through the roof above the toilet, but there is a small vent pipe up the outside wall (part way) from the septic tank. Is this safe, or should the toilet also be vented?

smartcatThumper
Feb 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
Sparky
The plumbing system has to have a vent somewhere. It could be the pipe coming out of the wall if it is higher than the highest drain in the system. The drains would work VERY slowly if the system wasn't vented.

You are going to have this home inspected by a competent inspector right?

When I lived in England the waste lines on the houses there were all outside of the house and many weren't connected directly to the sewer but had a break between the house's plumbing and the public sewer.

My concern with your set up would be the distance between the pipe and the nearest window and if there were any soffit vents close by that could allow sewer gases to come into the attic.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Oct 09, 2012, 12:51 AM
Farrah White
It is recommended that you should remodel your toilet. If possible a hire a plumbing expert who can help you to achieve your dream home.

drainage installation
Apr 25, 2013, 01:26 AM
Becky42
Bump