Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Cat using the mulch as a bathroom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat using the mulch as a bathroom Sign In/Join 
posted
Is there ANYTHING to keep the neighbor's cat out of our mulch and using it as a litter box? He uses it to pee, I'm not sure of the other. It is right by our front door and smells when you walk by. I do not want to harm the cat, I just need for him to go somewhere else. I am looking for a home remedy. I have been told pepper flakes and orange peels.

Posts: 460 | Registered: Apr 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hot pepper flakes can deter cats, but the large quantities required and the need to replenish them fairly often makes that a cost prohibitive use. Peelings from citrus (oranges, lemons, limes) will all work as well but they too need frequent replenishment. Burying some chicken wire under the mulch seems to be a more permanent deterrent.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8157 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If anyone in your area is having carpet removed, (check the trash pile or buy some new, it is cheap) the tack strip pieces can also work well to deter/retrain animals from visiting an area. Place the wood pieces (point side up).

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Besides the orange peels, you could get plastic forks & stick them in the ground with the tines up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7825 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Mothballs sprinkled about. These will last a while.
Hot pepper, as suggested.
Spray with vinegar and water.
I've seen sheets with points advertised. gardeners.com maybe? amazon? eBay?
There are sprays available. You might check a Pet store.

Posts: 5936 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Please not mothballs, they're toxic to the environment. Vinegar kills plants, so you might not want to use that near your pretties.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7825 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Vinegar if used waterer-down doesn't kill anything.
Dilute. It's the odor that repels.

Mothballs can be removed after the cat learns to stay away from the area.

Put some inexpensive screening over the mulch. Sheets of it. The cat can't scratch through the screen or mesh. The cat should learn eventually.

Posts: 5936 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Putting mothballs in the garden is an illegal use of that product. If it is not listed on the label federal law prohibits that use.
The primary ingredient in mothballs, Napthatlene, is a known carcinogen.
http://www.epa.gov/ttnatw01/hlthef/naphthal.html

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8157 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Have you attempted talking to the guilty neighbor about it? (It is the neighbor who's guilty, not the cat, BTW.) If the neighbor is a nasty-tempered, uncooperative lout, the easier solution is to find a physical barrier of the kinds described here. It might take a good deal of experimentation to find the one that cat hates most and will avoid.

Here, there's a county ordinance against free-roaming pets, including cats. You should check into that in your locale. If the law is on your side, you shouldn't hesitate at all to call in the authorities to help mediate the situation.

Posts: 4515 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Unless the feline interloper is a real pest and chooses only your garden to do his thing don't make waves with your neighbor just because he happens to love his bit of fur.
Cats are free spirits; the world would be less than what we want if there weren't cats around.

If you have the room, put some plants that cats hate in with your garden. Lemon thyme--looks good and can be used in your kitchen.
Citronella...the plant that also rids you of mosquitoes.
The peppers mentioned can also be spread around.

The plastic that is often put under a wheeled chair can also be put down. Cut a strip from such and place in the strategic place for the little guy to step on. Once he gets the idea he shouldn't venture in, he'll go elsewhere.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
The world would be less than I want if there weren't elephants, gorillas, and polar bears around, too. But I don't want them pooping in my yard any more than someone else's pet cat. I also don't want that cat hunting "my" treasured song birds for sport.
If the neighbor values his "bit of fur" so much, he would keep it in the house in order to double its lifespan.

Posts: 4515 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Nettie, I'm not forgiving what the darling little furball does in gardens but just think...what would the farmer do without his cats. Mice are a problem he would rather do without and there's nothing better around the barn than a good mouser.

I guess you have to have lived with a cat to appreciate them.
Just think too of Elsa...what would she have become if she was confined in a house.
She, like all cats, are born free and should remain so.

The way I look at it anyway.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Free roaming cats are not legal in our city. Animal control will loan property owners a humane trap, and they will come out and pick up any that stray and get caught in it. Often they are not claimed by owners, as they are not immediately missed, plus they don't want to pay license and fines.

In the mountains, the ones allowed both inside/outside seldom last a week or two. Coyotes are hungry.

I say, Love and protect your own pets at home, they depend on you for their health and safety.

(I do understand people who live on large acreages and farms having fixed barn cats that roam free on their own turf, but not urban lot areas.)

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post