Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  dormant grass
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dormant grass Sign In/Join 
posted
We had sod layed back in dec in our new yard. How long before we see green grass. we see our neighbors turning green but so far ours looks dormant. We have had plenty of rain and even snow and ice which is not normal for Ms weather.

Also how long do we have to wait before we cut it?

thanks!

Posts: 864 | Registered: Mar 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
It would help a WHOLE lot to know your location (general area) and what type of sod you had laid....grass variety (like bluegrass, Bermuda grass, etc.).

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5120 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Your best bet would be to call the company that laid your sod & check with them. good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7866 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ms in "not normal for Ms weather" most likely refers to Mississippi.
Grasses green up when weather conditions are right for that to happen. If your neighbors grass is showing signs of life, and yours is the same species, your grass should also be showing signs of life. If it is not call the people that laid the sod for an explanation.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8188 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is Bermuda grass and yes I am in mississippi, my neighbor to my right is turning green while my neighbor to my left is still that brownish color. Thanks!

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I'm in SW Ga. and our Bermuda is just now starting to turn green...just the very ends.
If it's Bermuda, don't worry...you can't kill that stuff!
I HATE it! It creeps into everything! It will send runners both on top of the ground & underground...not counting reseeding.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5120 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
My grass is still brown mostly. Only small bits of green. Mine is centipede. Some people fertilize way too early and rush the season, causing things to green up early.

I doubt your sod is bermuda grass. At least I've never heard of it. Be patient a little longer.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6824 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Farm Girl:
My grass is still brown mostly. Only small bits of green. Mine is centipede. Some people fertilize way too early and rush the season, causing things to green up early.

I doubt your sod is bermuda grass. At least I've never heard of it. Be patient a little longer.

FFG, yes, there is Bermuda grass sod. We have some grass farms to the east of us that grow it.

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...+grass+sod&FORM=IGRE

There are several varieties of Bermuda grass and it was developed at the UofGa. satellite in Tifton, Ga....not far from me.
That was one of the reasons that my Master Gardener course was so heavy on turf grasses!

posted Hide Post
thanks, I did call the man that laid the sod and he said it too soon to green up yt because of the colder weather we have had down here in ms.He said give it time.

I am only going by the yards around me but mine is all new so I guess that would make a difference.

posted Hide Post
It is greening up now, thanks!

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Glad it showed up for you and hope you aren't cursing it in the years to come!....like I do!

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
So glad it's turning green. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7866 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lol thanks to all of you. It is green now and so pretty, hubby may be cursing it lol lol he had to water it a few times due to lack of rain .

Thanks!lol lol

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~