Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Suggestions to smooth out the dips...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions to smooth out the dips... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Jennifer123
posted
I have a nice Bermuda grass in my small front yard. But soil is uneven so it cuts unevenly. So I need to level the soil. Any suggestions to smooth out the dips?

Posts: 6 | Location: Australia | Registered: Apr 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two ways. Raise the low areas or lower the high areas.
To raise the low areas cut a large X where the dip is and peel back the sod and fill in to bring the sod up to the level of the rest of the area.
To lower the high spots cut a large X in the turf, peel back the sod, and remove enough of the soil to lower that high spot to the level of the rest of the area.
Some may tell you to simply spread some "dirt" on the low areas to bring that up to level, and you could but that will often kill the grass growing there which then requires replanting.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8162 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post