Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Can I use potting soil to fill hole in newly sodded yard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I use potting soil to fill hole in newly sodded yard Sign In/Join 
posted
Can I use potting soil to fill hole in newly sodded yard.(6 months old)

I have a hole next to drive and I can't find bags of just dirt . Can I use potting soil or not. Will the grass spread over it? It is not big at all maybe about 1 foot long and about 6 inches wide and about 5 inches deep.

Thanks!

Posts: 864 | Registered: Mar 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perplexed:
Can I use potting soil to fill hole in newly sodded yard.(6 months old)

I have a hole next to drive and I can't find bags of just dirt . Can I use potting soil or not. Will the grass spread over it? It is not big at all maybe about 1 foot long and about 6 inches wide and about 5 inches deep.

Want to guess how that happened? LOL LOL

Thanks!

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can use it. It may take awhile for something to grow over it but at least no one will twist an ankle from stepping in a hole!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5116 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Is there a doggie in the house???

You can use potting soil, but I'd get a bag of top soil instead. It's cheaper.

Your grass should cover right over it but it may take all summer to do it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6820 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Potting soil is usually too lightweight for your lawn. I agree on getting some garden soil. It is available...probably at one of the big box stores. You should be able to find it. Good luck. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7866 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is top soil the same as garden soil? Does walmart carry it?

no doggie , just a hubby that drove off driveway when it grass was soggy after a bad rain lol it is fairly new sod and it sank in.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: perplexed,

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
The cheapest "potting soil" that Walmart carries is not like other "light weight" potting soils. It will work just fine. It is more like the top soil or garden soil than other potting soils. When I empty pots, that's what goes into holes in our yard...where pine tree roots have rotted out.

If you can lift any sod in the hole and put the dirt under it...that would be a good thing to do. If the sod is gone from that spot, then just fill the hole.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5116 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Potting soil is peat moss, coir, or finely ground bark, or a combination of those and is not meant to fill in a hole where soil is needed. You could put it there but it will not do what you want it to.
Whether "topsoil" or "garden soil" are the same thing or not depends. Some will be while others will be garbage. "Topsoil" or "garden soil" should contain about 92 to 95 percent mineral, the sand, silt, and clay that makes up soil, and about 5 to 8 percent organic matter.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8188 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post