Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Ground Disappearing Away From Deck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ground Disappearing Away From Deck Sign In/Join 
posted
Some background: PO of my house built an attached garage and instead of relocating the downspout to the new gutter on the garage, he used a piece of PVC in attempt to try to divert the water away from the house. It extended about 3ft from the house onto the patio. I recognized the issue and fixed the downspout but the damage had already been done under the patio where I couldn't see it.

The deck is a builder grade 10x10 that goes to the edge of the house and steps down to a concrete patio made of four 2'x2' slabs. The attached garage is slightly narrower than the house and it seems that the downspout issue has caused the soil to washout under the slabs towards the house and now under the deck.

I need some ideas on how to fix this. I'd like to do it as cheap as possible since I will most likely be selling this house in a few years but I still want to do it "right" Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posts: 1 | Location: Chester MD | Registered: Apr 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
It sounds serious and maybe another site would help you more, DIY or HGTV remodel. I would check all of the sites and blog areas.

html

Posts: 2527 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I think you'll need professional help with this. A cement contractor or someone who raises concrete, they'll know how to fill in and with what.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7850 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post