Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  How to use sand without it blowing away?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to use sand without it blowing away? Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a few palm trees in my backyard and I want to remove the wood chips (see linked image) and instead put sand in there to make it feel more beach like. However, I'm guessing that when it gets windy all of the sand will blow into the pool and elsewhere. Anyone have any ideas for how I might do this? Is this a bad idea for some other reason?

http://i.imgur.com/WT9c9.jpg

Thanks.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Yes, not a good idea since your trees are surrounded by things that block air & water to their roots. The mulch is also food for the tree as it breaks down. It helps keep the soil cooler & more moisture there than sand will.
It also looks like there might be a drain in there? You sure wouldn't want that to get full of sand!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4768 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I agree. Instead of sand, why not use a light sand colored mulch?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7801 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

It's not a drain, it is a light.

I will look into the light sand colored mulch, thanks for the idea.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Glad we could help. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7801 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an intern for a product called Hippie Mulch Glue (www.hippiemulch.com) and it looks like you may be interested in this product. It's a top coat spray-on adhesive for sand, as well as mulch and other fillers. It's pretty innexpensive and will keep your sand where you need it. It's also completely safe and non-toxic for people, pets, and the environment. Everyone that I know that's tried it LOVES it! Hope this helps!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Coleen B. NO advertising on these sites. As stated in other post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
How about replacing the mulch with a ring of decorative grasses?

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Down at Lake Michigan it usually takes winds in the 20 mph range to start moving the beach sand so unless you have winds consistently in that range you probably will not have much of a problem.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8148 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Folks, this is an old thread. Someone just revived it so they could advertise! Roll Eyes
They are doing it to other threads too!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4768 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post