Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Butterfly Plants?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butterfly Plants? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello, I am beginning to plant flowers at our New Jersey home. I would like to plant flowers that attract butterfly's. Can you please give some information on the type of flowers to plant? I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you!

Posts: 129 | Registered: Dec 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Dill is important for one type of butterfly as their larva eats only this to develop. Milkweeds for another species of butterfly.
Other flower plants...zinnias are great and easy to grow. Anything that has a long bloom time and/or reblooms often should attract them. And try a google search for your area.
You could also call your local county extension office and see if they have a list for your area.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4367 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most any flower will attract butterflies although those with flat topped blossoms are easier for them to get nectar from. Perhaps this from Morton Arboretum might be of some help.
http://www.mortonarb.org/tree-...act-butterflies.html

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8121 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
You want butterflies; there's no better draw for them than "Buddleia" ..the butterfly bush.
Long arching branches with a spike of flowers at their end that can grow 4" to 10" long.

But, take warning. Buddleia is not a plant that wants to be controlled. It needs lots of space and will produce seeds that will self-seed in no time at all. But, it will guarantee you see butterflies in numbers.

Like bees, most flowering plants will draw butterfies and will polinate as well.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ilvmicki2
posted Hide Post
You may want to check your state's conservation web site. They often provide information on native plants that will attract butterflies. I have a butterfly garden here in Missouri, but I don't think all the plants native here would be native there.

Butterflies also need a place to warm up to fly - a nice flat rock works well and a water source like a bird bath.

Milk weeds (like orange milk weed) are popular plants in my garden.

Posts: 935 | Location: kcmo | Registered: Feb 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Pentas also attract butterflies. In addition to the buddlea, there are other "butterfly plants" to take a look at. Check with the extension service. They ought to have a list of things that do well -- trees, flowers and shrubs.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6229 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much everyone for all of your help on this topic. I really appreciate it. I look forward to using the flowers and plants, bushes you suggested. Thank you!

Posts: 129 | Registered: Dec 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Also parsley attract larvae. I plant it each year jut for this purpose. They leave me no parsley to and that is alright.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to the butterfly bush, I always plant salvia which attracts them. Nearby petunia baskets attract them too.

Posts: 3050 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post