Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Sand, topsoil or ?? to fill deep holes in cleared land and then plant grass.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sand, topsoil or ?? to fill deep holes in cleared land and then plant grass. Sign In/Join 
posted
Looking for suggestions on the best way to fill approximately 5000 sq feet of land that was cleared last year. The space was covered in small shrubs, weeds and tall grass prior to being cleared. From the growth and the trees around the area I assume it was cleared 20 years ago when the house was built and the previous owners let it grow over. I've cleared everything down to bare ground and pulled the stumps left after cutting.

There are 3-4 deep depressions, approximately 18-24 inches deep and probably 5ft x 12ft, that I want to fill, grade to the same level as the existing lawn and seed.

I've found any number of posts suggesting a mix of sand, peat, topsoil, sawdust, etc to fill the holes and I'm wondering what the best approach is.

Fill the depressions 3/4 with sand and then cover\grade with topsoil? Topsoil mix? Or would laying gravel\crushed stone be a better choice to fill the deep spots. The land is flat aside from the depressions so shearing shouldn't be an issue.

After that, any recommendations on seeding? Hydroseeding is a little on the expensive side and I'm not sure if slice-seeding would be appropriate for what is essentially bare dirt.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bmontmarquet,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
If it's all cleared now, I'd just get something or someone to smooth it out & fill the holes/depressions with existing soils rather than put a bunch of something else in them.

It would also help to know your general location and what type of soil you have there...clay, silt, loam, sand????

We have acreage that was in planted pines when we bought it and some were cut a few years back. DH just uses either a box blade or a road type blade(landscape) to smooth out the rough spots and fill stump holes.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4933 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The definition of "topsoil" is the top 4 to 6 inches of soil, usually containing some organic matter. So what do you expect "topsoil" to be?
I would look at whatever I was buying closely to be sure that what I was getting was what I wanted and that would be a soil (forget labels) that was about 92 to 95 percent mineral (sand, silt, clay) and 5 to 8 percent organic matter.
Grass needs a quite good soil to grow in and sand is not a very good soil by itself. Neither is clay, by itself. A mixture of sand, silt, and clay, and organic matter is what grasses need, a soil well endowed with organic matte that is evenly moist but well drained.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8172 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post