Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Disappointed in Scott's Mulch...UPDATE! Got the Check!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disappointed in Scott's Mulch...UPDATE! Got the Check! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Belstone
posted
We just put down 35 bags of Scott's Nature Scapes Advanced Mulch in black...after it dried, it wasn't black anymore! They bag it wet so it looks black in the bag (and it's a messy job to spread it...gloves soaked through), but when it dries (less than 24 hours later) it's grey, at best! They "guarantee" the color for a year! I've emailed Scott's so I'll let you know what they have to say...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Belstone,

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3652 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
I hope you'll receive a satisfactory response.

Question: Given the large amount of bags of mulch you're buying to cover your beds, have you considered buying mulch in bulk instead? It would likely be less expensive. We pay $30 a yard (27 cubic feet) plus delivery...

Posts: 8200 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An article in a recent issue of Fine Gardening magazine indicated that the dyed mulches can contribute several potentially hazardous materials, such as Arsenic, to your soil. That brand of mulch material is simply too expensive, anyway.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8154 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
I wanted to use a walnut mulch because of it's rich color, but while researching found that it can be harmful. I've used black mulch before...bulk stuff that was put down by a pro landscaper...and I hated it because it turned my hands black every time I touched it and it faded quickly so I was totally against using it again. Enter Scott's, touting all the benefits and the color guarantee so, reluctantly, we used it. Live and learn, I guess.

Still waiting for a response from Scott's...got the automatic reply immediately, telling me they'd get back to me within a few days.

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3652 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I'm sure this is the height of their busy season, so it seems understandable it will take time to get a reply. Don't forget to update when you hear from them. I'm curious what they'll say.

Posts: 4508 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
I'm back with news...Scotts emailed a very gracious response expressing their regret that I had such an unfortunate experience...there was a tiny bit of condescension where they pointed out that the directions on the bags suggest turning the mulch periodically, which of course, does not apply to me since I noticed the "fading" within 24 hours. Here's the good part...wait for it...they offered a full refund! So now I send in my receipt and wait for a check. I'll let you know when it shows up. Happy dance....

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Well, it's good to know they honor their warranties. Would be better, though, if the products actually lived up to them in the first place!

Posts: 4508 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Good for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7821 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
We don't buy mulch. Never have.
We bought a shredder in 1971. Replaced it (bearing went) in 1985. All dead limbs that fall from our trees; all prunings from trees, bushes, landscape pines are reused. Larger pieces are shredded.
Fall leaf drop--mowed and bagged and used as winter mulch.
1) Looks neat
2) No weeds due to the continual addition of acidic matter.
Just an idea.
Good for Scott's to reimburse you.

Posts: 5936 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Well, they didn't give me all the money I spent, but very close! I got a check for 119.00 with no explanation for the discount, but I'm a happy camper.

posted Hide Post
I'm an intern for a product called Hippie Mulch Color (www.hippiemulch.com) and it looks like you may be interested in this product. It's a top coat spray-on colorant that's pretty innexpensive and it comes in a variety of colors. It's also completely safe and non-toxic for people, pets, and the environment. Maybe we can help you get the rich color you want! Hope this helps!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Colleen B. NO advertising allowed on these sites.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7821 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Dredging up all these old posts doesn't help promote any products. It only makes folks more skeptical of whatever you are trying to sell. Especially when you are doing it with multiple threads!

I wouldn't have the "stuff"! I want nature to do it's work, not look artificial!!!!!!!!!!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4823 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post