Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Ornamental grasses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ornamental grasses Sign In/Join 
Picture of steelnix
posted
I have 2 different varieties in my yard...
Should they be cut down over the winter months???

Posts: 64 | Location: Hbg, PA USA | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Two different varieties....what are they.

Many ornamental grasses are cut back in late winter or early spring.
A note of caution;, some of these grasses are noted for having sharp leaves able to do a lot of hand damage; be sure to wear gloves when handling them.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
If you want some winter interest, leave them for now and cut them back in the spring. If you want your yard nice & neat, then go ahead and cut them back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7843 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelnix
posted Hide Post
One I am told is a "snake grass"...It has bands of dark brown on the green "stalks". Both varieties have a really neat "plume" at the top right now... I just don't want them to get....damaged due to snow. We had some heavy rain in the past month and it really has them spread out and laying on the ground.

Posts: 64 | Location: Hbg, PA USA | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Wind and rain will do that. Snow will bring the stalks down, but if they're completely dried, they won't spring back up like an evergreen tree. And, if they're completely dried, you can cut them back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7843 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone I have talked with and learned from, botanists, horticulturists, knowledgeable gardeners, has told me that ornamental grasses should not be cut down until early spring.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1238.html

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8173 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Yes, early March for me in my area.
I have bunny ear ferns and too many liriope and some rush to be cut. Late winter/early spring.

Posts: 5940 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post