Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  NYC patio? No joke... (needs makeover)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYC patio? No joke... (needs makeover) Sign In/Join 
posted
I moved into an NYC apt with an AMAZING outdoor space (unheard of) and it needs some serious TLC. Looking for advice on what to do with the fence and also the chipping brick. Any other ideas are welcome, too. Space is 16 x 16.

Question:
What can I put on the fence that gives me privacy but is not an eyesore?

Choices:
More green strips?
Trellis?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
That is a lot of space! The easiest would be to line the fence with bamboo (see the link below). I would power wash or scrub the brick if you have an outdoor water source.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF...acy%20fence%20screen

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7384 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
What a great blank slate.
I would not powerwash the brick - those loose spaces may chip, and the flashing under the window may leak. Research an organic, pleasant smelling cleaner. And use the "aging" as part of your canvas. Indoor/outdoor mats will help also.
Whatever you do must be weather hardy for winter. Obviously container gardening but don't set yourself up to having to bring everything inside in winter. Non-wood trellis along the fencing will add privacy and a vertical workspace. Do you sit at the table? Or would a sitting area be more useful. Keep things simple and start small. Have fun...

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 416 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Brick can be scrubbed, pressure washed, AND face it. That's what I'd do.
Neighbor faced their front---beautiful. It's just a partial brick and is mortared in.
You'd need to hire a mason.
As for fence, you can add more of that stuff that's already there or --- the bamboo idea.
Also in re-looking at the photo, that crack needs a pro to check why it's cracked.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M-ma,

Posts: 5900 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post