Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  landscaping around new above ground pool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

landscaping around new above ground pool Sign In/Join 
posted
We just had a 12x24 oval above ground pool installed.
What type of plants would do best around the pool? I want to put some type of rock. We have red mulch around the other landscape in the back but I don't want that around the pool.
We have day lillies, holly, japanese maple tree, and a butterfly bush in the corner between the house and pool.
We will be having a 8x8 deck at one end of the pool.
Any ideas what type of flowers/bushes/rock would be best?
I cant seem to find any good pictures online. Thanks.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Sunset Western Garden Book has two pages with pictures of plants to use around a swimming pool. It also explains in the introduction on the first page what you should look for and avoid in plants. This link is for PDF file of the two pages from the book. You will need to use the enlarging tool to be able to easily read the pages. - http://content.yudu.com/A1urio...ley/resources/66.htm

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
You don't say in what part of the country--I'm not familiar with you so I wont suggest any plants but I will suggest you should be very careful about placing flowering plants near the pool. They can draw bees, wasps and their ilk and you don't want to have to keep swatting our friends when you are trying to get a tan.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in Michigan. Thanks!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3Dlady*
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible to post a picture of the pool and surrounding area? I'm much better at suggesting plantings when I can visualize the topography and adjoining structures.

Retired manager of the universe

Posts: 241 | Location: St.Joseph, MO; zone5B | Registered: Feb 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would stay away from using mulch near the pool. Try pebbles instead to create a buffer between exposed planting beds/ soil and your patio or walkway around the pool. Maintenance will be much easier!

Posts: 14 | Location: New York City | Registered: Feb 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Choose low-water use plants that will not require heavy irrigation around the pool.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
One year later....if the landscaping hasn't overwhelmed you, ferns always looks good around pools.
Do you take the pool apart for the winter and re-install in spring. You might find some artificial ferns at your local "Michaels" store.
As well at Michaels, they have a number of artifical plants that you might consider placing around the pool. They don't draw insects.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post