Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Desperate Yard?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desperate Yard? Sign In/Join 
posted
Yes and quite frankly I'm getting tired of hanging out at Home Depot waiting for someone to save me from myself. I bought a 70 year old house and ended up spending all my money on silly things such as having it re-wired, rotten floors replaced, etc. What can I do with this blank canvas that I could do cheaply, yet of course elegantly with little to nil gardening skills?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tchoupitoulas,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Well, I see a palm tree of some kind so you must be in a fairly warm place.
But it would help a WHOLE lot if we knew your general location! Can't give you good advice unless we know what will do well in your area.

I'd also suggest posting over on the general gardening board. There are LOTS of folks that post over there from all over the country!

Also need some idea of your tastes...formal, country, a mixture????

We also do quite a bit of sharing over on the general gardening board. And from the looks of things, I might have some plants that would work for you...but need that location.

You can see at the bottom of my post that most of us put in a location & a hardiness zone.
Welcome to the boards!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4845 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much! I'm in Lafayette, *****iana, in the heart of Cajun Country down by the Gulf of Mexico. No winter to speak of other than this "out of the ordinary" one which I THINK we are about done with down here. I'm chomping at the bit to get out in the yard and do SOMETHING. I know I have the standards, Magnolia (which I love), Oaks, Camelia, and the fruits (which I'm seriously considering), Crapemyrtle (not crazy about), etc. and my taste I would say is "eclectic" My house has antiques and hardwood floors if that helps as I said, the house is an old one. They tore up my front garden when the replaced the windows and the freeze finished them off. I had some variegated ginger and some Hydrangeas I will miss if they don't come back. I have just never tackled a project this size. Oh, one must have is Sweet Olive.

Oh and that "palm" is a banana which I dug up as soon as I could. Can't stand them and I understand they attract rats and other vermin. The mess back by that lovely fence is old bamboo roots (almost as bad as Cypress knees) which I need to dig up as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tchoupitoulas,

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Ok, first a word of advice! DON'T TRY TO DO IT ALL AT ONCE! Pick one area & work on it until you get it close to what you want and then pick the next area.

You can see I'm in SW Ga., so not so far off from the same kind of climate as you!
Glad you dug out that banana palm, I don't like them either...but some people do! They are messy and the ones I had when I lived in Fl. drew palmetto bugs, but we never had any rats.
Don't give up on the hydrangeas or the ginger, they are some times tougher than we think...so give them time to see if the come back.
Have fun digging out the bamboo roots...but watch for regrowth. They can be persistent! Some around here will regrow if one little node is left in the ground, but it will depend on what variety they were!

A couple more suggestions...watch the markdown racks at you local Lowes. I've gotten LOTS of plants at ours and for very little money. Something to ask about there is...if you buy 10 plants or more off the markdown rack, some of the garden center managers will mark them down to 90% off...but you HAVE to ask!
Walmarts often also have markdowns...like the daffs they have blooming in pots now should be marked down by next month in our areas....as soon as they start getting more summer plants coming in.
And, if you don't like how things look, you can always move stuff around! Keep taller plants to the back & shorter to the front. Fill in between perennials with annuals if that suits you...it will give you more color more of the year.
Are there any gardening clubs in your area? You might want to think about that as many have plant sales and exchanges. Also, our local high school has a horticulture class and the kids grow plants and have a yearly spring sale to support some of their work & trips.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4845 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Oh, Karen is so right. Don't try to do it all at once. A section at a time.

You have cypress knees? Do you save them? Share them? What do you do with them. Can you tell, I'd love to have some?

Will check your growing zone & see what will work for you. You'll have fun working with growing plants & flowers. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7823 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mgt:
Oh, Karen is so right. Don't try to do it all at once. A section at a time.

You have cypress knees? Do you save them? Share them? What do you do with them. Can you tell, I'd love to have some?

Will check your growing zone & see what will work for you. You'll have fun working with growing plants & flowers. Smile

Gee mgt, I didn't know you would want some cypress knees. How tall? The ones we have here are fairly short....like 3" to about 8". Let me know, but they will have to wait until it gets warmer for DH to go into the creek area to cut them. I sent a whole box full of them to DIL about 2 yrs. ago. She carves them into things like key chain bobs! She got short/small ones.

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, Karen. I'd love to have some. I don't care how tall they are, I like them in my garden. They add an odd bit of interest, just like me. Big Grin

If you're willing to send me some, I'll trade you something & I'll also PM you my address. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7823 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mgt:
Oh yes, Karen. I'd love to have some. I don't care how tall they are, I like them in my garden. They add an odd bit of interest, just like me. Big Grin

If you're willing to send me some, I'll trade you something & I'll also PM you my address. Smile

No need to trade and I already have your addy!
Once I get an addy, it goes on my list! Big Grin

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Well, how cool is that? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Mine are just big enough for my 88 year old parents to trip on them in the back yard Smile They are in New Orleans and you would think I would have them before they would but nope. Not big enough for a coffee table or furniture, just big enough to be a nuisance.

I'm going to do what you suggested Karen, take one corner of the yard and plant some fruit...lemon, lime and satsuma. I'll then tackle the next section.

I am lucky enough to work with a woman who has a nursery license(?) and can get plants and trees wholesale which is indeed a great help.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Oh lucky you! Wish I had a friend like that!

Some time this spring I'm going to try to visit a nursery in Crawfordville, Fl. They have some really old varieties of citrus that will survive the colder areas...like me. They aren't cheap, $50 ea. last time I checked but they can't ship out of state so I'll have to travel down there.
I already have 7 lemon trees, if they all survived our below freezing temps this winter. I want to add at leas a couple of orange trees. Also, the UofFl. is working on some warmer climate peach tree varieties...maybe those will be for sale soon?...I hope!

Sorry, mgt. & I got carried away with cypress knees. Big Grin

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
LOL Karen...no problem. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~