Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  New to landscaping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to landscaping Sign In/Join 
posted
I am needing some help/ideas of what to do with my front yard landscaping. I am not sure what to do/ what I want. I want it to look very clean and I like the symmetrical look but I am open. I like the look of round scrubs but I would like to have some color in there. I live is zone 6a. It is shaded in the morning and lots of sun in the afternoon.

Thank you for all your help!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mrs.Jk3a,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here is another angle

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the ground sloping toward your house or is that an optical illusion?

Posts: 7047 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Go look through some landscape books that are suited to your area...try the local library. That may give you ideas...then check at your local nurseries for what is available & the best time to plant each different plant...and learn about their needs/care required BEFORE you put it in the ground.

Also, everything GROWS. Learn about mature size before you plant & leave space for growth.
Pretty gardens don't happen over night, they take LOTS of time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4856 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
One of the nice things about large book stores is they sometimes provide a seating area where you can read books, magazines, pamphlets and such.
They also have usually large sections on D.I.Y.
projects, such as gardening, landscaping, decks, concrete etc
You can peruse these books to your heart's content and convince yourself of their help in designing, purchasing, planting, caring for....etc.

Your local newspaper might also have a section on gardening or it might be in the section about homes and condos.
They usually have ideas written by noted, local landscape artists; maybe a nursery owner.

Planning is your best bet that you wont make too many mistakes. Graph paper can be gotten at your local stationery store and it can be used to map out exactly what and where you wish to plant.
Mostly foundation plants are evergreen--use specimen that a grown in your particular area.
That is usually a good idea for any plant you buy....locally grown, is the safest way to ensure plants survive your environment.
Usually buy plants that are said to be good for two zones colder than yours.

Do a walk-around your property. visualize what you think would suit; then jot it down on the graph paper. Make many copies adding here and there, disposing of ideas that don't suit.

a walk around your neighborhood can provide you with ideas you might like and it can also show you errors of what not to do such as putting small specimens that grow large in front of windows or entranceways.

Jot down everything, even the smallest details.

Talk to your local nurseryman---the guy who runs the business; not the kid who has been hired for the summer.

Good luck.....enjoy your new home and all that goes with it.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
and don't forget the neighbors, either...they can steer you away from plants that didn't work...

Posts: 8538 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
How is the drainage of that area?
Does water puddle after a heavy rain?
Look around the garden dept. in box stores.
Sun all afternoon in zone 6 can be a problem with many things.
Try a search: zone 6A shrubs in sunny location.
Visit a local landscaper.
And work that soil into the top few inches.

Posts: 5936 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post