Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Advice on using this boat for a planter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on using this boat for a planter Sign In/Join 
posted
I bought this wooden boat that is designed to stand up vertically as shelves. I had the idea to lay it horizontally somewhere outside and to put plants inside of it. My concern is that the wood will not last more than a couple years outside. I'm not sure what type of wood it is.

http://i.imgur.com/5vGWW.jpg

1. What do you think of this idea? Should I just return it?

2. Is there someway to seal the wood or protect it from rotting?

3. If this is not going to work in the garden, does anyone have any other ideas for it before I return it?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Nov 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Untreated wood in contact with the earth will last approx. 10 years.

Once you lay that 'boat' down and plant in it, it will lose some of the 'boat' feel as some comes from seat areas. Just my opinion.

Posts: 7047 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'm more concerned about water, from watering plants and the rain.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Nov 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is all part of being in contact with the earth. It will last 10 years or a touch less.

Posts: 7047 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
I'm not up on identifying wood by looking at a picture so the easiest way to know for sure is to remove one of the 'shelves' and take it to a lumber store. They can tell then how long it might stand up to the weather.
Much like tires, old rowboats are commonly laid on their sides and used for plantings. If you have the room then they can be a satisfying way to exhibit color. If they are the center of a garden, and the area is not large, they might be a waste of valuable space.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I'd be leery that the construction isn't actually of solid wood. If it's 'composite' something or another, it certainly won't hold up for 10 years. Pressboard, plywood... Those aren't going to last long. I'd also be concerned about the fasteners. Nails, staples, and glues used in bookcases aren't usually weatherproof. Once rust starts or the glue gets wet, the thing will fall apart in a season or two.

Posts: 4523 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Even taking into account all that has been said, I have seen boats used as planters and they look wonderful. It all just depends on what flowers you put in them. So, think about it and do what you want.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6606 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Untreated wood on the soil in the south would be lucky to last one year...termites!!! They will even get into treated lumber not that they took the arsnic out of the treatment formula.

After thinking about what FFG said, marine paint might keep it from rotting as fast or "might" even keep termites at bay for awhile. Ask some place that sells marine paint.
But I would think you would have to paint both sides.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4861 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Information is so good. I have a boat and these points and suggestion are really helpful for my boat.

Posts: 1 | Location: 400 W 43rd St, New York, NY 10036 | Registered: Sep 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alexa Kelly:
Information is so good. I have a boat and these points and suggestion are really helpful for my boat.

If we are so helpful, why did you dredge up an old post and advertise on it?
And it will be reported!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4861 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Good that you reported it, too ga.karen. I did that yesterday...these people are goobers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7827 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect idea for the best use of old boat. The plants matches to boat color look very attractive on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smith23,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post