HGTV Message Boards
Advice on using this boat for a planter

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1974011632/m/6883937067

Jul 02, 2012, 01:41 AM
bellbound
Advice on using this boat for a planter
I bought this wooden boat that is designed to stand up vertically as shelves. I had the idea to lay it horizontally somewhere outside and to put plants inside of it. My concern is that the wood will not last more than a couple years outside. I'm not sure what type of wood it is.

http://i.imgur.com/5vGWW.jpg

1. What do you think of this idea? Should I just return it?

2. Is there someway to seal the wood or protect it from rotting?

3. If this is not going to work in the garden, does anyone have any other ideas for it before I return it?

Thanks in advance.
Jul 02, 2012, 08:55 AM
metwo
Untreated wood in contact with the earth will last approx. 10 years.

Once you lay that 'boat' down and plant in it, it will lose some of the 'boat' feel as some comes from seat areas. Just my opinion.
Jul 02, 2012, 04:25 PM
bellbound
I think I'm more concerned about water, from watering plants and the rain.
Jul 02, 2012, 05:12 PM
metwo
That is all part of being in contact with the earth. It will last 10 years or a touch less.
Jul 02, 2012, 05:43 PM
Loonie
I'm not up on identifying wood by looking at a picture so the easiest way to know for sure is to remove one of the 'shelves' and take it to a lumber store. They can tell then how long it might stand up to the weather.
Much like tires, old rowboats are commonly laid on their sides and used for plantings. If you have the room then they can be a satisfying way to exhibit color. If they are the center of a garden, and the area is not large, they might be a waste of valuable space.
Jul 02, 2012, 07:58 PM
nettiejay
I'd be leery that the construction isn't actually of solid wood. If it's 'composite' something or another, it certainly won't hold up for 10 years. Pressboard, plywood... Those aren't going to last long. I'd also be concerned about the fasteners. Nails, staples, and glues used in bookcases aren't usually weatherproof. Once rust starts or the glue gets wet, the thing will fall apart in a season or two.
Jul 02, 2012, 08:08 PM
Florida Farm Girl
Even taking into account all that has been said, I have seen boats used as planters and they look wonderful. It all just depends on what flowers you put in them. So, think about it and do what you want.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
Jul 02, 2012, 09:37 PM
ga.karen
Untreated wood on the soil in the south would be lucky to last one year...termites!!! They will even get into treated lumber not that they took the arsnic out of the treatment formula.

After thinking about what FFG said, marine paint might keep it from rotting as fast or "might" even keep termites at bay for awhile. Ask some place that sells marine paint.
But I would think you would have to paint both sides.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion
Sep 11, 2012, 05:03 AM
Alexa Kelly
Information is so good. I have a boat and these points and suggestion are really helpful for my boat.

boat accessories
Sep 11, 2012, 10:08 PM
ga.karen
quote:
Originally posted by Alexa Kelly:
Information is so good. I have a boat and these points and suggestion are really helpful for my boat.

If we are so helpful, why did you dredge up an old post and advertise on it?
And it will be reported!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion
Sep 12, 2012, 10:38 PM
mgt
Good that you reported it, too ga.karen. I did that yesterday...these people are goobers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."
Sep 07, 2013, 01:05 AM
Smith23
Perfect idea for the best use of old boat. The plants matches to boat color look very attractive on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smith23,

Marine Powerheads