Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  front yard landscaping help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

front yard landscaping help Sign In/Join 
posted
Nothing can really grow in this area so I wanted to re-design it since it's a huge part of our front yard.

I was thinking of making 2 rings. 1 around the tree and 1 around the lamppost. My only concern is what I would put in between the 2 rings. river rock was my initial thought.

Posts: 6 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Mar 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Why won't anything grow there?

I don't like rock. If you ever want to move it or remove it...it is a ROYAL pain!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4785 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
The soil under that rock probably needs to be amended in order for things to grow properly. But I agree with Karen, remove the rock and then make a proper garden bed of it. And I actually thing the one larger ring looks much better than two smaller ones.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6537 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I like the one large area also. I would add some evergreen shrubs like the ones you have close to the house.

Double dig in lots of compost and some manure. Biodegradable mulch would be better to further enrich the soil.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7389 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you to consult lawn care professional in you area. They will guide you better to design your front yard.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Gosh, I look at the picture and see room for color, lots of color.
Unless you have particular plans to completely change the look, you might try to visualize raising the level; plant some perennials that flower...or annuals with lots of color, then put a low hedge around the perimeter. Hicks or Hills Yew, or Boxwood, might be considered. It certainly would be an eye-catcher.
If you consider annuals, it would be ongoing annual ritual to plant colorful plants that need not be always the same.
I get away with planting begonia every year in front of my Emerald Cedars....but there are many annuals that can do likewise.
If you do raise the area, you might be able to plant as though it as terraced...lower growing types in front, higher ones in back.
Make a ribbon effect of color, the low hedge would certainly set it off.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lorencarls:
I would suggest you to consult lawn care professional in you area. They will guide you better to design your front yard.

But only as long as they can sell you some products or services. And many "lawn care professionals" know nothing about landscaping design! Not all of us what all those chemicals close to us either...that lawn care people use!
Pollution from lawn chemicals in the #1 polluter of our waters! Farm chemicals come in second!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4785 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The space looks promising. I would probably use some garden accessories to spruce up that area. You can probably have a bird bath as the focal point there. The tree maybe you can surround it with a circle of flowers at the base.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: weathervanes,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post