Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Thinking of chopping this tree down.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of chopping this tree down. Sign In/Join 
posted
Here are some pictures
https://plus.google.com/photos...hkey=CJSr5qzso4WKogE

I've had a few people look at it including the home inspectors (structural engineer and inspector), but no one was willing to give me solid advice, other than to ask for more advice. Everyone said there might be some concern.

The branches are currently touching the roof, but they could be trimmed back easily. The roots are more of a concern to me. There is a small vertical crack in the foundation near the tree that has been patched (the house is 100 years old). It's a fairly small trunk.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to chop it down. Just wondering if anyone had advice for, against, or otherwise.

It provide great shade, etc, but I'm worried it's just too cramped up against the house.

Thoughts anyone?

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It looks a bit too close to the house and foundation to me also. It will only get worse, and harder to remove as it grows. I would have it removed, if it were my home.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
As much as I love trees...I would get it removed. My concern would be that the roots will create a channel where water can then run into the basement...if there is a basement!

If the trunk is just "yanked out" instead of ground down, the trouble could begin.

I speak from experience...Frown

Posts: 3271 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with others. I do not like to cut trees but sometimes it is necessary. This tree should have never been planted that close to the house.

In addition to touching your roof, harming your foundation, it is also blocking airflow to the siding on your house which can cause problems.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I too would take it down, way too close to the house!
If we were doing it ourselves...it would come down one section at a time and then take out the stump! And be sure to have a rope, cable or something with someone or a vehicle of some type pulling it into a safe area for each section.
We use a heavy cable & our tractor when DH cuts down trees much larger than this one...he learned the hard way when he "almost" took out our car port! Roll Eyes

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5116 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
It is a shame it is so close to the house.

Roger Cook/TOH would probably try to transplant it, but that would not be easy given its size and proximity to the house. It would have to be dug out by hand as you couldn't get a tree spade that close to the house.

I agree with the others, take it out. If you were looking for confirmation for what you wanted to do, I think you got it.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6993 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Yep, take it out. Did you plant it there or inherit when you bought the house? Mature sizes of plants and trees should always be a determining factor when planting. My neighbor has holly trees planted around his house like shrubs and the saw goes regularly trying to keep them in some manageable size, besides blocking almost all the light to the windows.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6820 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Remove outer limbs first. Rope each separately. Someone saw; the other guide with the rope.
Cut away limbs over upper window.
Then cut main trunk. Again with rope tied for guidance.

Posts: 5967 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post