HGTV Message Boards
Fund raiser gone bad

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1974011632/m/6203903077

May 04, 2013, 06:17 PM
hepdog23
Fund raiser gone bad
I bid on a new patio at a fundraiser for a little boy that needed a lung transplant. I won the bid naturally, and it has been three years now, and the contractor has never even STARTED the job. I have a pile of dirt I ordered 2 1/2 years ago that he said we would need still in my yard, plus a 250 dollar gas line for a fire pit. Long story short, I really would love to get the job done and am willing to do it myself but wondered if there are any shows that would deal with this bizarre issue? I'm a teacher/coach with three little boys and a 15 year anniversary coming up and I'd love to surprise the wife with a new patio..any ideas?
May 04, 2013, 09:03 PM
mgt
Call the authorities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."
May 15, 2013, 04:45 PM
Jewel
Interview and hire a new landscaper. You don't want this guy to build your patio -- he has ethics problems. A guy like this wouldn't hesitate to cut corners and do a half *ssed job out of retaliation from you pressing him to finish the job.

If you want to finish the job yourself, check out YouTube for "how to" videos. There's some really good ones there.

As far as the money spent to win the auction, either write it off or take the guy to small claims court. Be sure to take lots of date stamped photos for evidence of his lack of progress over the last 2 1/2 years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jewel,
May 16, 2013, 06:30 AM
owie
I would also let the people who did the fundraiser know that the job was never done. This would be to alert them to never offer this type of thing again, not to "get even". People deserve to know when people do not take care of their responsiblilties.