Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Ground Ivy!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ground Ivy! Sign In/Join 
Picture of greylove
posted
Help! nothing seems to get rid of it, really. I can't sit and pull so much out of the yard. The neighbors have it, too, so I know it will keep coming back, but how I can I keep it to a minimum in my yard?

“Some people say I’m easily distrac- Hey Look, a bird!”

Posts: 129 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Sep 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
What does it look like? Is it creeping jenny aka gill over the ground? Scalloped leaves & little purple flowers? If that's it, it spreads like crazy with rhizomes, you must pull every last little rootlet out. BUT, if you're willing to use Weed Be Gone, a few applications will get rid of it. It does take more than one application. Good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7866 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While this plant,"Glechoma hederacea" can be difficult to get rid of starting with a good, reliable soil test and taking the steps necessary to get the soil into a good healthy soil is a start. "Glechoma hederacea" is readily seeded by birds so while many "weed killers" may offer some control measures it is not the end all method.

http://turf.msu.edu/ground-ivy-control-for-home-lawns

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8188 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
We used a dethatching rake to pull out a large patch of English ivy. It is faster than pulling, but we still have a small patch. If we were a bit more diligent, it would likely be gone. That type of rake does a great job of pulling up the tangles of vine.

Posts: 3479 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i also have a problem with that weedy vine; it was everywhere in my border gardens. i covered all the areas with newspaper or cardboard & then a thick layer of mulch for an entire season. it worked & i got rid of "most" of it. now i see that it's also in the lawn areas; don't know what to do about that! we do not use chemicals for fertilizer or weed control.

Posts: 2867 | Location: Long Island | Registered: Sep 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post