Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  disaster yard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

disaster yard Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a yard with very little grass, sandy soil and a fair amount of shade from trees. I tried last year to plant some additional grass seed but that did not work. Need some advise as to what to do to get a full and thick grass lawn. Up here in Minnesota where it snowed again yesterday. Do I need to completely start over and till up the yard lay new black dirt and seed or do I have another option.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
We do pay for a fertilizing company because my DH is allergic to fire ants and they treat for all bugs. A good lawn needs the right fertilizer.

html

Posts: 2485 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
First thing you need is a soil test to tell you what amendments your soils need.
Call you local county extension office to see if they do them & what they charge or they can give you the name of a place that does them.
When you get the results it should have recommendations of what to apply to get the results you want.

Just throwing down fertilizer without knowing if it is needed can cause more problems and it can end up running off and becoming water pollution!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4830 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we had trouble with our lawn here in Nebraska, we went to the County Extention Office and talked to their master gardener. They will be able to tell you what needs to be done with your ground. I would think for the type of grass seed you need, I would try Earl May or other lawn people. There are perennial grass, annual grass, Soyia grass, grass that you sow in the fall to come up in the spring..etc. etc. etc. We planted some grass seed (Rye perennial) and I do know we have to keep the soil moist to get it to grow.

love life

Posts: 1512 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post