Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  edging suggestion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

edging suggestion Sign In/Join 
Picture of shook29
posted
My least favorite spring clean up job is edging the landscape beds. I do it each spring, and it looks great for a month or two before the grass begins creeping into the beds. This year, I'd like to permanently edge with something that looks natural. I don't like the looks of plastic, or anything visible, really. Any suggestions?

Posts: 863 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
If all depends on how large the area you are improving...too much of anything is...too much.
Putting in a edging material can look good....to not so good...tacky.
Not doing anything...but improve the edge itself can often make a great statement.
It can also look great if the garden site is in a shape that pleases the eye.

Straight lines do nothing for a garden; curved lines increase the sightline -- you see more of what makes the garden. If flowers, then more bloom is seen by the eye. If greenery, again the eye follows the height, and depth.

Try this on a small area--using a sharp edging tool, cut at the edge, straight down...make sure it is strait down...not at an angle.
Make the cut as deep as you see fit...but try 3 inches at least...you can try deeper if the look appeals. Generally, sod wont invade the space--grass might look scraggly at the edge but a string edger can take care of that.
If you also raise the soil above the sod, this will help the look and help with good drainage as well. How much you raise it depends on you...it can take as long as one season....or a dozen--you decide.
If you do raise the soil, try thinking adding compost there, using a rake or other tool to mix it in.
Sometimes, the look of soil around the base of plants can look---good--if not better than using mulch--which has a look all its own.
(not to deny the value of mulching)

No fencing is needed.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Shook,

For our planters, I use a gas trimmer on wheels as our grass would grow right over everything.

This is the one here.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_290033...&CAWELAID=1024204106

Here is a pic of one area. The mulch sits right next to the edger line.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What to use depends on what you have to stop. There are gardens I have worked in that had the plastic 4 or 6 inch edging put down and had the grass grow over the top and in many instances had other types of grass send rhizomes under. Some people have had concrete edging poured (really expensive) and found the same thing.
I have used 10 inch aluminum flashing (roll the top edge over unless you want to slice your hands) as well as the 8 x 16 inch patio blocks. I have found little will stop most grasses from invading planting beds for very long. Then you do need to attend to grasses in the planitng beds tht grew from seeds.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8158 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I use an electric edger. It's still a bit of work, but not as bad as trying to do it by hand!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4845 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wood edging is great option for natural edging. Wood adds informal and organic look to the garden and it is easy to maintain and inexpensive to install.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
shook, we 'had' an electric trimmer which I could start easily. The batteries are no longer holding energy. My dh purchased a gas model edger. It is now HIS job since I'm unable to get it started.

As for materials for the edge of your garden bed, this is a personal taste. There are many images online what other homeowners have used. My dh doesn't care what goes in = just so long as there is something to keep the mulch in the space & the edger can get around easily. Some edges have included the following: rocks, bricks (flat side down/upward), cement poured and pressed to look like rock, timber in long lengths/round cuts, etc. There are many plastic/metal looks, too. Look up images online and decide for yourself what YOU like...and what is in the budget. Best wishes in your outdoor project.

lorencarls, my father used to be in the horticulture business as a private contractor. He stayed within our area when completing projects. Looks like you have some nice projects. Aren't most of your clients listed within your area? The policy around this message board is no advertising. Just letting you know.

Posts: 5177 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
My electric edger plugs in, there are no batteries...it isn't cordless. It works great.

I have used bricks around the bed all around our house.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4845 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Courtesy of watching the landscaping crews working the green spaces in our subdivision, we discovered that there is a trenching shovel perfect for creating a deep, clean "half pipe" edge between the lawn and the bed.

It won't keep grasses like bermuda or zoysia from eventually trying to send shoots into the bed that you'll have to pull out, but it is an excellent foundation step to creating a clean looking bed. Generally, we pair the trench with a metal edging like this one:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_99216-...%2Bedging&facetInfo=

Posts: 8200 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post