Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Need help re-landscaping my rental home!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help re-landscaping my rental home! Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a property in utah its 45'wide x 180' long the house sits 30 from the front of the property and is 25'x 35', very basic Bungalow. I need help with a basic idea of how to landscape for a rental property. The back yard is a mess, I cut down a crab appple tree that was too close to the house and had millions of tiny apples every fall, and also a Cedar tree that was unhealthy and in a bad location. there is a carport in the back yard about 25 feet from the house, the cement driveway between the house and carport is completely destroyed. the lawn is gone and around the sides of the yard is over grown. any advice would help

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cody sandoval,

Posts: 1 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jun 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Can you post pictures of the area in question? That would make suggestions much easier.

Posts: 3161 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Cody, when designing for a rental house, the less maintenance the better. A good start to any landscape re-design is to decide what to keep and what to trash. Starting from scratch is easiest, but sometimes the more expensive option as well. Concrete driveways can be repaired if they are cracked, but if a slab is lifting I would remove it and the obstruction underneath. Lawns are easy to replace, and a proper sprinkler system can make all the difference. Stick with the lines of the house and try square or rectangle planters along the sides, with low maintenance vines or slow growing shrubs. It's difficult to elaborate any further without seeing the property, but I hope this helped as a starting point to plan off. Good Luck Cody.

Posts: 3 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Oh I love that line of Builders.."lawns are easy to replace".
For a rental property....maybe its just me, but I'd stay away from installing a sprinkler system.
One should be aware of how to care for and use properly such watering system. If the person is living in the house and knows about watering a property, then the hoseline is maybe all that is required. After care of a sprinkler system is necessary to prevent winter damage.

Getting back to landscaping a property; a plan of attack should be first on the agenda.
Sit down and write all what is needed in the way of repairs and what ideas you have for putting plants around the property.
Start by making drawings on graph paper (bought at any stationery). No need for drawing to scale, but include everything...from where the hydrant is, to where the windows are of the house. Include heights of windows, where doors are, taps, fences, and such.
Put down the good points of the property....and the bad points. Plan on how to hide the A.C unit without blocking air passage.

All this and more should be done before you put the spade into the ground. Do it slow....and sure. Allow for plants to be moved or transplanted and less mistakes might be made.

The removal of a crabapple tree that was ? too close to the house, may have been done too hasty. The tree was potentially one of the best things to attract birds and polinators.
Their roots pose no problem to foundations and they can be pruned for shape. Well, its done so no need for more discussion.

Any future plantings should be with regard to their mature height and spread of canopy.
Little oaks grow to majestic proportions.

If repairs are necessary and you plan on keeping such property for a time, then the "it'll do" approach might cost you more in the long run. Fix it right the first time and your renter might like to stay and keep up the property for his enjoyment.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My boss's novel house is almost done, plus now he's look for a reputable Grand Rapids landscaping company who can complete a work quickly and professionally. I contain short list, but need a small number of more names.

grand rapids landscaping

Posts: 1 | Location: California | Registered: Jun 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you to consult landscaping professionals in your area. They will guide you better to design your front and backyard.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
Williams Anderson?..have your boss visit here..bet they'd have planty of ideas and can show you what to grow in grand rapids..it's not a big town, so would have limited centers...

http://www.meijergardens.org/

Posts: 8538 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post