Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  weeds and mulch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

weeds and mulch Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello gardners last year I took the following steps advice from Home Depot gardening expert.

I digged up a area removed the old weeds and grass layed down 3 layers of landscape fabric, and in fact lays plastic sheets over the landscape fabric to be extra safe.

I put down 9 bags of mulch and would you know I have weed growing up from that area. What can I do it should I rake back the mulch and try lay fabric again ? Someone told me use only black plastic and that will work better then the fabric

Posts: 501 | Registered: Sep 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you are growing anything in that area or not, but neither one of those is good for the soil or plants.
No matter where you live, dust flies. It gets trapped in cracks/crevices and then a seed blows in and you get a plant...weed or not.
There is no way to keep any area completely weed free unless you WORK at it.

Black plastic blocks water & nutrients from reaching the soil & plants. Weed fabric will rot & be a mess to get out...been there/done that....and it catches ALL weed seeds that get near it. When the roots get below the fabric & you try to pull them...the fabric tries to come up too...a royal pain in the rear.

I have found that several layers of newspaper will work just as well for weed block, but nothing is going to last forever or stop weed seeds from blowing or being carried on animal fur or by birds.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5112 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Just another little hint...when talking to an "expert" working for a store or nursery...REMEMBER, they are trying to SELL YOU something!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5112 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I use newspapers also. I will never again use the plastic or fabric for the very same reasons mentioned above.

In order to keep it weed-free you usually have to pull the weeds regularly.

Posts: 3270 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plastic laid on soil can seal that soil from access to air and water which can result is a soil that smells quite putrid. Plastic is also made from non renewable resources. Plastic is not a good choice for use in the garden.
"Weeds", unwanted plants growing where you do not want them growing and sometimes, to some people, desirable wild flowers, will germinate and grow in the mulches, so you need to look to see if these unwanted plants are growing from the mulch or the soil. If they are growing in the mulch simply use a cultivator to uproot them.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8188 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post