Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Kwanzan cherry tree
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kwanzan cherry tree Sign In/Join 
Picture of M-ma
posted
Landscaper (local) wants to plant a Kwanzan off to one area of our front yard.
I've been researching these: subject to tent caterpillars (huge negative); will be in sun much of the day; slight slope so will drain; only live 15-25 yrs. (I'm old; not so much of an issue); beautiful when in bloom.
Suggestions on this tree or other trees for our Zone4/5; western central PA

Posts: 5900 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a flowering tree that doesn't get too big, look into a treeform redbud. Other possibilities would be flowering pear, Japanese tree lilac, thornless hawthorn, or flowering crabapple (I like Prairiefire).We are Zone 4/5 here and they all do fine. We have a Northern strain of redbud.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

We have enough crabs.

I'll ask Sam about the redbud. I like that idea, esp. treeform.

We have a Cleveland pear in the back with a nice circular bench around it. We do use it. That pear is getting to be a nice shape. Dependent upon time of year and shade from other trees, we do use that bench.

I appreciate your input.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M-ma,

Posts: 5900 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Kwanzan's. I love them!! I live in Washington State and have not had any issues with tent caterpillars. My trees are in fact in the sun 100% of the day......they are doing fine. Their double bloom is spectacular.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had two that were part of a lot I bought at an auction when a nursery went out of business in 1978 along with about 100 other shrubs and trees. Even though I dug all very quickly and transported without wrapping and planted quickly without much knowledge or care, all but a couple of dogwoods survived. The house was on a bend in the road and they were placed about 15-20 feet apart at the apex of the curve.

I don't live in that house now but still go past from time to time and they should be blooming right about now and with the time in the nursery are probably over 40 years old. the view of them coming from either end of the curve is eye popping and they're about 25 feet high and almost as wide.

Posts: 732 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Thanks for input, good people.
Talked with landscaper; he's getting us a Kwanzan. It will get sun for much of the day. He said he had one web of caterpillars once and his tree's been in 20 yrs.