Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Mulch --> grass? Pic included
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mulch --> grass? Pic included Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello,

We just moved into our home this year and are considering removing the mulch above the retaining wall and planting grass. We have tons of other mulched areas around the house to take care of and having some more green space would be nice. My question is, is there mulch there for a reason? Like water drainage? This is our first home and we are pretty clueless about landscaping. Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

yard

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
could be that the former owners planted something under that mulch that hasn't come up yet. the only way to know is either wait for a few months to see, dig it up to see, or call the former owners & ask them. I'm betting that you may find some plants under that mulch, because I really don't see any other reason to have it there. did you move in after the early spring plants were done? such as tulips or daffodils? is there anything other than the tree there in that area?

cheryl hill

Posts: 374 | Location: lansing, MI u.s.a. | Registered: Aug 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mulch is always there for a reason, sometimes simply because the gardener did not want to mow the area. You need to determine why that mulch is there and whether growing grass is better then not.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8122 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have lived here since the fall...nothing else is planted. The beds are all in bad shape. We are re-planting and mulching all the other beds around the house but I think we are going with grass here!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
That area looks like a mess. I would certainly do "something" with it! But I don't like to mow and enjoy flowers more, so I'd likely plant some perennials there after I'd cleaned it out and re-mulch after the planting.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4404 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post