Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Boxwoods for designs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boxwoods for designs? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello, I plan on planting boxwoods in an area of our yard this fall. I would like to plant the variety of boxwood that is small and grows about a foot high. I would like to trim them in designs, the shape of a V. Can you please tell me which variety to use? I did not realize there were so many different varieties available until I visited a nursery near my home. I appreciate if you can give me some suggestions. Thank you! Murph

Posts: 129 | Registered: Dec 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
go back to your nursery...they can tell which will be the best for your area, and shaping...

Posts: 8551 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
I think you'll agree if you want to shape something it should be something that grows well....fast...so you can keep clipping to make the shape you have in mind. Without being a Mr Scissorhands, unless you want to take forever to obtain any kind of shape, boxwoods that grow only a foot or so high is not the variety that would lend itself to shape anytime soon.

I'm sure the nursery guy can better advise on the best variety of box that would better suit your aim.

Might I suggest you look at a variety of yew that also can be clipped to shape.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your suggestions! I appreciate it Loonie and sjf! Murph

Posts: 129 | Registered: Dec 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Murph, just last week PBS did a story on the famous garden around Windsor Castle in England.
It showed a number of raised and otherwise garden areas and most were surrounded by "BOX" evergreens which also were clipped into shapes.
It did show that there are particular varieties of this evergreen that is suitable for shape-clipping.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post