Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Gravel under the deck?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gravel under the deck? Sign In/Join 
posted
Our home got a tall deck at back of the house, the backyard has some slope. During rain, it became muddy on the ground (under the deck), also due to the drainage pipe was not smooth (might be blocked/narrowed somewhere under ground), big rain will cause water to build up underneath the deck around the foundation..
I ordered 8 yards of 1 inch gravel and put them under the deck, the deck size is about 370 sq feet. I think I ordered a lot more than what actually needed, the thickness is roughly above 4 inches and even about 7 inches at one side.
To stop the water to sink into the ground, I put a layer of plastic underneath the gravels.

Now someone told me this is a wrong way, and this will cause damage to the foundation, since water will build up there under the gravels and will not be dried by sun.

I want to know whether what I did was really wrong or not; if wrong, what should I do now?

Thank you very much for your answer.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I would not have placed plastic under the deck and rock, maybe landscape fabric (if there were concerns of weeds or for just a separation of gravel and soil). Does the rain currently run downhill toward the house???

Having a proper slope away from your foundation for any water (from all sides of your home) for any rain water to run out to where it can safely disperse and dry out would have been my goal, prior to the gravel. The plastic may just keep the soil from drying out, or divert any trapped water to where you may not want it to go? Eventually it will degrade, and will tear/create holes. Then there is also the possibility of a breeding ground for mosquitoes?

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Land should be sloped away from the foundation of the house. You should have the drain inspected for breaks or leaks or roots impeding the flow of water.

You may have to remove all the gravel & plastic you put down & have the land properly graded away from the house after you've had the drain tile inspected. This is a big job, but you don't want water against your foundation. Get it to drain away and then put down the landscape cloth (to prevent weeds, etc.) and then lay the gravel again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7854 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post