Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Eroding retaining wall... I really need some advice.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eroding retaining wall... I really need some advice. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Katwood001
posted
Problem: The stone retaining wall in my backyard is eroding. The boulders crumble like they are packed sandcastles. The problem is connected to the city over watering the park behind my house. Either Alkali or Lime is seeping through, coating the rocks, and is either causing or contributing to the problem. To make things worse, the erosion seems to be now happening to the diamond block wall beside the rock wall.

Does anyone have any ideas that might save my yard?

More information:

The park behind my house is ten feet higher in elevation than my house's foundation. Half of my back yard is a terraced slope that I have added on top of the four foot high boulder retaining wall.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Katie Wood

PDF DocBackyard_errosion_pictures.pdf (138 Kb, 12 downloads) Pictures of the erosion problem

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
1. Call the city Public Works Dept. and ask for someone to come and look at the wall.

2. Start talking with landscapers who do walls or businesses that do retaining walls and get suggestions. It sounds as though your wall needs drainage/weep lines behind it.

That's all I've got.

Posts: 5900 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
This might mirror the problem of "who was there first?" Persons who buy a house next to a highway should expect some noise and sometimes when they build a highway through a neighborhood, the highway people put up barricades to soften the noise issue.
If the park was there first and the houses came afterwards, then the elevation problem I would think belongs at the door of the builder. If its the other way around, then I'd say the parks dept should --like any other neighbor---not be allowed to dump drainage on the house next door....you.

Definitely get in touch with the city parks dept and advise them what their elevation is doing to your wall.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
That is really sad to see Katie as that is a beautiful space you have. Talking to the Parks people on a friendly basis might help you start a solution. But I wouldn't expect them to do much to help you individually. Professional prices may vary, so definitely get several quotes if you decide to pay someone. I doubt you are alone in this problem for your area. The county may have an Extension office to assist homeowners, same for your city. Good luck.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 416 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post