Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Waterfront property - two cottages on the same lot help!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waterfront property - two cottages on the same lot help!! Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello!

I'm on the verge of buying a waterfont property with two cottages on the same lot. I would like to create intimacy between the two without blocking the view of the lake. I'm having trouble having a visual of how to do so.

I'm open to ideas cheap on the budget, and easy to maintain. I'd really like to add more trees on the lot, not sure where and what type of trees.

Looking forward to any ideas people may have.

As you see on the first picture, the left side of the lot is used as entrance (also to get to the second cottage).

(More pictures to follow)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: menajen,

First cottage

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the view of the two cottages.

posted Hide Post
View from the porch of the first cottage

I like the idea of a wooded lot, but as you can see part of the lot (on the left) is used to get to the second cottage closer to the lake.

posted Hide Post
closer view of the first cottage

posted Hide Post
Without knowing how you are going to use the cottages it is difficult to suggest too much.

But I can tell you the first concern should be the lake. Having that much cut lawn means too much run off to the lake. You should narrow the manicured area and provide a buffer zone at the lake to filter any water that runs down.

Most counties have some regulations on lake lots. Often these include not only resistrictions on buildings but restrictions on plantings. The first step should be to visit the county and find out how their lake shore ordinance reads.

Posts: 7311 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The land is about 22,000 square feet, but as you can see with the pictures the lot is in a rectangular shape.

The only restrictions we have here in our area,(Canada QC) that I'm aware of is to preserve the already existing plants/trees within about 5 feet from the lake. Essentially were not allowed cutting anything down within a certain amount of feet from the lake, other than that nothing.

As for what I intend to do with the cottages is to rent them out on a weekly basis. I don't want anything that requires maintenance, to create privacy between the two cottages and would really like it to look more like the lot is in the middle of the woods, without cutting off the view of the lake.

Any help and visuals would greatly be appreciated. Feel free to use the pictures of the actual location so I can get the visual.

posted Hide Post
To make it appear "in the woods" get rid of the straight lines at the property edge. Straight lines say subdivision. Do to cheaply just stop mowing in a straight line. Leave irregular areas to grown naturally. To speed it up plant native trees, shrubs.

I see no way to provide privacy without blocking the view. On the lower house the cars must be parked where seen and the entry is on the side. (As an aside, put a railing on the entry.. It is an accident waiting to happen). Is it really important since they will be sharing the same lakeshore area?

Posts: 7311 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful location. You could add a fence along the parking area to the lower cottage. Add landscaping or smaller trees to add a layer of privacy.

Good luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9517 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post