Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  honey locust tree? Ideas.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

honey locust tree? Ideas. Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi. Looking for a tree ideas! In New Jersey. Want something strong that doesn't break easy like most would want. However, looking for something that has a "beachy" look to it. Gray lookig leaves?? The Honey Locust doesn't have Gray leaves but the tiny leaves give off a tropical look in my eyes. Researched it however and it says its prone to having branches fall off during storms. Does anyone have any better choices? I was thinking Ginko but I don't think they grow the way I want. Want something see thru, not a lot of bushy leaves and branches. Don't want to block the house! Going shopping tomorrow please help me out with ideas!!!

Posts: 225 | Registered: Jan 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check to find out if the Honey Loust is considered an invasive "weed" tree in New Jersey.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8121 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
As you describe you wish a tree that has a loose canopy and birch is one that might interest you.
There are a number of versions of this tree so do a little research into the different trees.

Paper birch (white birch) is famous as the tree that provided the material for the canoes of our native Americans. It has a very loose leaf canopy. Sunlight streams through to enable grass to grow where you want it.

One of the best things about birch is they can be planted as a group....2....3....or 4 trees in the single clump. This makes for a entirely different look than just a single trunk.

but like any other tree, their location should be with regard to where their roots go and what effect they have on gardens and a lawn.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New Jersey is too far south to successfully grow a Paper Birch, although a River Birch may well do.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8121 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post