Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Need easy landscaping ideas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need easy landscaping ideas Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi! We just moved into a new place and need landscaping ideas! We are in Zone 6. Any ideas on plants/designs that are very low-maintenance? I'm open to the idea of getting rid of the planting beds along the sidewalk and just putting down grass/sod instead.

house

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I would suggest looking at all the yards in your area & see what you like. Then go talk to someone with knowledge at a nursery.
I like lots of shrubs & flowers, so I'm not the right person to give you advice...cause I'd be putting in more beds and having less grass to mow! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5116 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Your new home is lovely!! I would get rid of the small evergreen shrubs that appear to have been "shaped". I prefer something that has a more natural, feathery shape.

We have azaleas and rhododendrons as foundation plantings....but you have to move them out from the house somewhat. I like your areas along the walkways. They are good spots for some colorful annuals.

You could add some clumps of Black-eyed Susans or some hydrangeas. There are many folks on here who will be able to give you pointers!

Posts: 3271 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your house is lovely as grapefruit said. Landscaping is so much of just what you like. This is what I would do.

I would change the outside outline of the bed because it looks like it is hard for a lawn mower to follow and requires a lot of trimming. I also think some of the angles detract from the house.

Then I would get rid of the large bushes closest to the house. They are too close to the walk/driveway and will need a lot of trimming. Let the other trimmed bushes grow naturally so they get a natural shape.

Take a px of the house to your local garden center (not big box place). Most will give you suggestions assuming you will buy some of the plants from them. You do,not have to do everything at once but can change things over time if you have a plan.

Posts: 7286 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jennifer123
posted Hide Post
Hi,

You can check out some easy landscaping ideas here

Posts: 6 | Location: Australia | Registered: Apr 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer123:
Hi,

You can check out some easy landscaping ideas here

Advertising is not allowed on the boards!
And I doubt if advertising for Australia here will do you much good anyway! Roll Eyes

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5116 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
landscaping is a work for professionals. not every one can do it with wright things.. there are lots of new ideas in lndscaping.
Landscape Maintenance, Commercial Landscape Maintenance, Grounds Maintenance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pginfo,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pginfo:
landscaping is a work for professionals. not every one can do it with wright things.. there are lots of new ideas in lndscaping.
Landscape Maintenance, Commercial Landscape Maintenance, Grounds Maintenance

Another spammer with ESL skills. Great!

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6993 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a picture to a local nursery as stated above and see what they say. I like the beds along the driveway but I like flowers and shrubs. A straight line looks so rigid. I also don't like the shaped evergreens. Take your time and look around your area, take pictures of what you like and what you don't. These will all help you in making choices. Try to do some things that aren't exactly the same as your neighbors, put your individual stamp on the yard. I hate to drive through a new development and see the same plants in every yard. Mine started that way and eventually everyone put in what they liked and now it looks much nicer.

Posts: 3275 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of terracing? That's quite a hill. You can have terraces of lawn or plantings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7866 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
I think the idea along the driveway may be to hold back strong water flow during heavy rains.

I don't like all the trimming either but that is quite a slope (as stated above).

I'd go to nearest retail landscaper with photos and start talking. If you get great ideas from that person/place, please buy some things from that person/place.

Posts: 5967 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post