Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Crabgrass--any cure?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crabgrass--any cure? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello, We live in southern New Jersey and every year at this time due to the hot and humid weather we get crab grass throughout our yard. The yard will look great March through the middle of July than almost overnight we get crabgrass. I applied Scott Turf builder with crabgrass control back in May but it seems nothing works. Another issue is browning of grass due to insects. Is there anything I can do or put down on the grass to help it grow back again? If you have a solution I would be very thankful. Murph

Posts: 129 | Registered: Dec 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
This worked for us in south east NEB:

The crabgrass (pre emergent prevention)often needs two applications in the growing season. If you have a lot of it, there are many seeds to deal with, and it won't be over in a year or two of applications. It probably took a good 6 or 7 years to get rid of it for us.

We used to have to apply in early May before the soil heated up enough to germinate the seeds (time varied a bit year to year), and a second application in mid to late June or so depending on when the spring application was. (It gradually stops working) By the way, this also can help keep spurge from germinating mid summer. It needs to be watered well after applying also.

Aeration or digging plus edging along sidewalks can bring seeds to the surface with disturbed soil (and they can still germinate), so try to do these chores before a pre-emergent application or in the fall?

There is a post emergent weed killer that can kill off young crabgrass plants (before they can go to seed), but it can damage weak turf grass also.

After ridding most of it, a healthy, thick turf can keep a lot of it under control too. Your local county agricultural agency may help you out with more local information.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9679 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Improving the soil, keeping the grass longer and a couple of doses of pre-emergent crabgrass preventer. However, I have the same problem every year about this time, mainly because I refuse to waste drinking water on grass. I've used a hose end spray to kill it off, but once it starts sending out runners that stuff just slows it down, it doesn't kill it.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6993 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the helpful advice. I really appreciate it. Murph

posted Hide Post
Crabgrass is an annual grass and the seeds need certain soil temperatures and moisture levels to germinate. Turf grass properly feed and watered so it grows nice and thick can help reduce the amount of any "weed" that might grow in the lawn. To get a nice thick turf the soil needs to be good and healthy and synthetic plant foods will not get the grass there.
Insects are a bigger problem in lawns that are fed with synthetics, so getting off those drugs and working on making the soil the grass grows in into a good healthy soil will do a lot to help with lawn insects as well.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8188 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the suggestion and helpful advice! Murph

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by murphman:
I applied Scott Turf builder with crabgrass control back in May but it seems nothing works.

Pre-emergent crabgrass control products are only effective for about 60 days so the timeline sounds about right. You apply in mid-May and in mid-July you get crabgrass. Next year try applying a second time 60 days after the first application.

You might also be a bit late on your first application. You should be applying any pre-emergent products at about the time you mow your lawn for the 2nd time of the year. That way it allows the desirable turf grasses to start growing but blocks the undesirables. If you wait until the undesirables have begin to emerge the product you are applying will have zero effect on them.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The manufacturers directions for Turf Builder plus Halts Crabgrass control say to apply it in early spring, from February to April. Always read, and follow, the manufacturers directions for use of their product for best results.

Posts: 8188 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Timing application depends on the seasonal temperature where you live. This may vary a bit from year to year.
In our zone, the first application of pre-emergent is timed to the initial dropping of forsythia bush flower blooms. (They seem to be tied to the temperature changes in the spring, and this has always worked for us) The second application is timed a certain number of weeks after the first. Check the product bag for timing, as mentioned above.
Both applications must be thoroughly watered in to get the product to coat the soil level. We try to time it before rain is expected or else plan to water it in well with the sprinklers.

Too early an application, and it still breaks down at a normal rate and may not be effective for as long as needed (waste product/money), too late, and the seeds have already sprouted.

Your local nursery or county agricultural agent can also be a help to time the applications to your zone and yearly conditions.

Posts: 9679 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Improve the soil by mulching your clippings and leaving them on the lawn. Pull the weed plants out before the seeds get distributed for next year and plant grass seed in the holes.
To protect birds and ground water (and people), Spring and Fall spread corn gluten (not chemical pre-emergent) to prevent sprouting of new seeds. Crabgrass dies off in the cold and only grows again from seeds. If you do spread corn gluten or any pre-emergent product you cannot seed at the same time, the product will prevent the grass seed from sprouting as well.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believe me when I say this.I feel your pain.I HATE crabgrass.Its so freakin messy when you mow it,it grows way to fast, Its clogs up your mower which adds extra wear on your mower and it thrives on the days where its so miserable outside which adds wear and tear on us lol.

Well after dealing with crabgrass for the last 5 years I started 3 weeks ago pulling it from my yard.You talking about feeling overwhelmed lol.Its gone dormant and is a little easier to pull now.Its been going smoothly but makes the back sore.I can say that ive pulled about 8 5 gallons full of it which is pretty close to half of it.Hopefully the bermuda will be happy in may when they realize they have the yard to thier selves again Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: UGA Dawgs,

Posts: 253 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: Jul 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ally13:
Crabgrass dies off in the cold and only grows again from seeds. If you do spread corn gluten or any pre-emergent product you cannot seed at the same time, the product will prevent the grass seed from sprouting as well.

AFter dealing with crabgrass and pulling tons of it the last 3 weeks I am beginning to think it comes back from dormancy.What I mean is all these plants I am pulling right now are currently dormant.They will be back green in may if I didnt pull them.

That probaly explains all the money I wasted on these so called pre emergent fertilizers

Posts: 253 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: Jul 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
UGA, I don't think we always get cold enough to completely kill it.
I was pulling some last week and it had new growth on it plus there was new stuff coming up from dropped seeds.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5120 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very often other weedy grass species are mistakenly identified as Crabgrass, and some of what is described here sounds like it has been.
Crabgrass is an annual and will not regrow from old plants. If a plant appears to go dormant and then grows again it is not crabgrass. Crabgrass grows prostrate and seldom will it be of any height to be picked up by a mower unless it is scruffed up just prior to mowing.
https://www.google.com/search?...sAQ&biw=1920&bih=946

posted Hide Post
Just an update

My lawn has looked the best it ever has.Heres what I did

In spring I started noticing alot of it taking over my yard.I went to walmart and bought the crab grass spray that you can mix with a water hose mixer.Set the dial and go spray it.The results has been great.It killed the crabgrass and it seemed to fertilize the bermuda cause the bermuda took off nicely.Very happy with the results.Of course this stuff is about $10 a bottle and I used probaly 5-6 bottles.

Well I am having more take over my yard right now,But the last time I sprayed this crabgrass killer(around 6 weeks ago) it made alot of my bermuda turn brown.I am sure it has something to do with the heat.So I havent used anymore of the spray the last 6 weeks.I got some small plants that I would love to spray but dont want to risk browning my bermuda again Frown

Any ideas on how to treat crabgrass now without browning the bermuda??

posted Hide Post
If the soil Bermuda is growing in is in a good healthy condition the crab grass will be much less of a problem. when was the last time you had a good reliable soil test done and what did it say about the soil?

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimmSr:
Very often other weedy grass species are mistakenly identified as Crabgrass, and some of what is described here sounds like it has been.
Crabgrass is an annual and will not regrow from old plants. If a plant appears to go dormant and then grows again it is not crabgrass. Crabgrass grows prostrate and seldom will it be of any height to be picked up by a mower unless it is scruffed up just prior to mowing.
https://www.google.com/search?...sAQ&biw=1920&bih=946

Well Kimm, you must have different crab grass than I do! Mine will grow up to 4' long and it does stick up at the seed head end....and it spreads with roots at ever node of those long stems that touch the ground.
And yes, mine did put out new growth...evidently the roots had not completely died and also I did have new plants sprouting.
Remember, we don't get nearly as cold down here as you do and many things grow here when they won't up north. If you cut it, it regrows so why wouldn't it regrow if we warmed up after a short cold spell...only a day or two?

UGA...I wouldn't worry about the Bermuda. I can't kill it down here even with multiple applications of roundup or any other grass killer! It will come right back!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5120 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Crabgrass is an annual, it dies with the frost. Each plant creates hundred of seeds.

The best defense is a well established yard on good enriched soil. Keeping the grass taller helps control it as well. Getting there may take some chemicals to kill the crabgrass. As Kimm recommends a soil test is the best place to start. I had mine done this year and found out my pH was way out of balance and I need to do several applications of lime to get it in balance. A top dressing of compost when reseeding can help improve the soil condition. Aeration will help loosen the soil, do this in the fall otherwise you're just making a nice seedbed for the crabgrass.

In the south we reseed fescue in the fall. The temperatures are milder, rainfall is generally greater and the competition from the annual weeds is reduced. Fescue is a cool season grass so if your yard has it it will look best in the fall, winter and spring. During the summer unless you water it often it will go dormant.

Using a post emergent spray herbicide with crabgrass control is not recommended at temperatures above 85 - 90 degrees F. With Bermuda grass not above 85.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6993 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Here (central W. PA) Jim and Conrad have the right idea--when forsythia bloom/near Easter/early mowing. Usually sometime in April.
Weed-B-Gon (Spectracide)can be used to destroy a few crabs. For wide-spread, pre-emergent in the spring.
Our lawn has a treatment. When Tom does the front and sides, I take my hand-held spreader and do an area near the garden (in the back). Sometimes I use a walk-behind spreader. I've managed to eradicate crabgrass from that area. Took some time but got it done. Best time to buy pre-emergent from any box store is in the spring--here, that's in March.

Posts: 5967 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weed B Gone is a broad leaf weed poison although the manufacturer does also make Weed B Gone with Crabgrass killer in it. That product, however, is only effective on growing plants and is not a pre emergent.