Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Boxwoods --Plant in shade?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boxwoods --Plant in shade? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello, We live in southern New Jersey. I have 10 very small boxwood bushes ( 1 gallon ) I currently have them planted in an area where they spend a good portion of the day in the sun. I have had them planted for over 2 years now and they do not look like they have grown at all. Should I consider planting them in the shade? I do not know where the best area would be to plant them so I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you!! murph

Posts: 129 | Registered: Dec 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
MM, they do equally well down here in the warmer climate at either location....try a google search & see what you come up with.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4756 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We had a similar experience with foundation plantings of small yews, that just did not do much of anything for 3 years. (Just in case this might be your soil issue)

Because of the under eave location where the yews were, I believe the soil was just compacted, lacked organic matter and did not allow the roots to spread easily. I dug around the root ball of each of them and incorporated peat moss and top soil to loosen and augment the existing dirt. Big changes after that, they grew well and required trimming yearly. Just a thought.

Posts: 9596 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Murph, boxwood comes in many forms....and I assume your plants are the type that do well as a LOW HEDGE

These are extremely slow growers...which is why they make for such nice hedges...maintenance is so easy....usually a minimal amount of clipping to keep them in a nice compact form .

Please, do not attempt to make them grow more than the genus supports....don't feed them evergreen fertilizer in such attempt.
You shouldn't feed plants in any case during heat spells---so that usually says to not feed a plant during summer months.

Boxwood are used where a more formal hedge is wanted such as surrounding a formal garden.
I often suggest this particular plant or Hick's or Hill's yew for the same purpose.
But box grow much slower and retain their small form.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the helpful advice and suggestion's. I really appreciate it. This message board is so helpful. Murph

posted Hide Post
Boxwoods are known to be slow growing plants, even when planted in ideal conditions. They can tolerate full sun, and depending on where in the world they are may need more sun in the northern territories then down south. While they tolerate a somewhat wide range of soils they will do best in soils with a near neutral (6.2 to 6.8) pH that is well endowed with organic matter and is well drained but evenly moist.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8147 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
We have boxwoods in sun, mostly shade, sun and shade. They all do well. One in shade for the mornings is quite large; one in sun much of the day is quite large.

Posts: 5924 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post