Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hedges Sign In/Join 
Picture of beedeeess
posted
Moved into this house a few years ago and along the front porch which is ground level, they planted hedges. I'm sure they've been there for a gazillion years.

I'd like to get rid of them and do some actual landscaping. I know I can't pull them out because there is a sprinkler system and I'm sure the roots have grown around the pipes - I'm not taking any chances.

My question is can I cut these down to the ground and will they grow back? If so, can I just keep cutting them back to the ground?

Posts: 293 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I would find out what plant variety it is.

Most of the hedges that we have had over the years tend to rejuvenate after being cut down to the ground. Privet, Cottoneaster, Spirea, etc. Even had large evergreen yews grew back from their woody root stems and all were much healthier looking specimens for it. As they grow back, they can be shaped and controlled into the size and thickness you may want by careful pruning.

There are chemicals which will kill the roots, if painted on the fresh cut stems near the ground. The nursery can sell you some of the vegetation killer if that is truly what you want to do.

Posts: 9639 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
I'm getting older and just had hip replacement surgery 3 mos ago. The hedges block the view from the front porch. You sit in a chair and all you can see is hedge 3 ft in front of you. And no matter how often I trim it seems they grow back faster. Constant trimming and having to clean up and drag all the cut shrub to the street is getting old fast. Plus it blocks the view from the front of the house making it a safety issue (burglars/criminals).

I will try the vegetation killer on the stubs and see what happens.

Posts: 293 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I totally understand. We have used it on many trash trees or vines (that start growing in weird places)and often that crawl over or under our privacy fence from the neighbors.

It works best if you apply it directly to a fresh cut stem or trunk. A disposable foam paint brush works really well.

Posts: 9639 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If you have access (have or borrow from relative/neighbor/friend) to a reciprocating saw, I have found they make short work of removal of woody plants. Less intimidating than even a small chain saw, and can often get into small places easier.

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, Conrad. Will check with my neighbor, she seems to have everything.