Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Fence question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fence question Sign In/Join 
posted
We bought this house in January and now with spring finally here I am starting to get the yard in order. The house use to have an inground pool. It was taken out and buried so half of our yard is dirt. The yard is raised a few feet on that side so there are two retaining walls as seen in the photos below.

We are planning on putting in a chain link fence and sod for now. I have a couple questions. First should I tear off the top layers of the retaining wall to make it more flush with the lawn.

Second, I am not exactly sure how I should install the fence with the wall. I would like it to be as flush with the wall as possible so I do not have a gap for weeds to get between the two. I just do not know if I put the poles that close if they will seat right with the cement. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dmoss,

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Is there a reason why your yard is higher than the neighboring ones? Is there some kind of hill or slope there? Is the yard level with the back of the house?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am just trying to figure out how to answer your fence question.

It seems that , if possible, your yard/lawn should be graded ( soil removed) to the same level as the adjoining yards. Is that possible? Otherwise you could " fall off your yard"!

Posts: 3036 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just bought the house in January and from what we were told is that there was a pool there. I am not sure if the previous owners brought in the dirt or if it was a hill they just dug into. I would have loved to grade it out but they didnt completely take out the pool. They drilled holes for drainage and then knocked the top few feet of concrete back into the pool then just filled it in.

This is why we want the fence so no one falls off the wall : ). that side of the yard is pretty level with the house but most of the yard slopes away from the house.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dmoss,

posted Hide Post
Your yard was probably level with the neighbors once. When a pool is dug, the dirt removed is graded into the existing yard, not hauled away.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
You never know what the previous owners did...unless you ask the neighbors who have been part of the neighborhood forever. It's what we have to do. The stories told - Oh my!

Posts: 5056 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Our newest neighbor had trees removed from his backyard. Our backyard wasn't level. He reassured us that the work being done would probably correct the situation.
As we chopped the wood, we discovered the following in the trunk of one tree: wads of newspaper, foam rubber(intial thought: it looked like fungus) and the cement that destroyed the chainsaw blade. When asking neighbors, we were told it was to keep the c.ants inside. Not cool!

Posts: 5056 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I just wonder who fills in a swimming pool without actually removing it...sure sounds weird to me.

Trish, that's very weird, too, about the stuff found in the tree trunk. People sure think strange things. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7706 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
DMoss, a bit of advice, find out how this pool was filled in---maybe first, find out from pool guys...the guys who build pools, how should a pool be disposed of....how should it be filled in.
Then go to the previous owners and ask how they carried out the pool closure.

There's danger afoot....if the pool wasn't filled in properly. If it is just a big hole now...waiting for the next storm to dump a lot of water on the ground above the hole, it could lead to a big mess.
Get informed about whether the pool was actually filled in in a proper manner.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Loonie,

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I think I would look into doing the complete job if possible....removing old pool, filling in, and grading to be level with neighbors.

I agree that it could be a potential problem.

Posts: 3036 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked into what they did with the pool and everything was done up to code. They spent nearly 20k to get all of the cement patio removed and then had the top 3 ft of the pool broken down and placed at the bottom of the pool then they brought in multiple truck loads of fill and compacted it. (it really is solid). I guess different areas have different codes for removal, they said 80 % of people actually do it this way because the cost is significantly less then fully taking out the pool.

posted Hide Post
Where in the world are you?
I am not aware of any building code, today, that allows construction rubble to be buried on site.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8119 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
As residential lot developers we often had/needed " clean fill". Fill can include used concrete, asphalt, blocks, etc. It is then properly compacted.

So, that is most likely what has happened in your yard. I am sure that you will have a nice usable and attractive yard when you get it fenced in. Did you check to see if a permit is needed for your fence?

Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Suggestion: take your photos (assume still in camera) to a fencing company or a DIY box store and ask an "expert" the question you asked here (2).

Neigbor here knocked cement into chunks (huge chunks) and toppled them into pool area. He dumped sand and built a bocci court atop. I'm waiting for settlement. I know of no code that was followed.

Posts: 5900 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post