Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   Landscaping
  Ideas? mud barrier between bottom of fence and patio?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas? mud barrier between bottom of fence and patio? Sign In/Join 
posted
Any ideas on how I can create a waterproof barrier between the bottom of the fence and the patio? As you can see in the photo I tried using a cement mixture from a tube and it did not work, the rain water pushed right through it and it started to peel up.
My patio stays a mess when it rains because there's a deck on the other side of the fence and nothing but dirt under the deck. I cannot get to the mud under the deck on the other side so I'll need to do something on my side of the fence to keep the water/mud from coming in, any ideas?

fence/patio - mud.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
A creeping plant? Something like a ground cover thyme? Or a moss?

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5048 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Is the deck not on your own property? Why is it you can't get to it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7854 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont think a plant would stop muddy water.... it is my deck but its a large deck and this area is at the far end, its low and dark and dank under there!! I could hire someone to go under there for me if I had a solution requiring to be on that side but here and on several other boards, I am not finding any solutions (and fyi on the gardenweb forum, people just want to fuss and fight there, what is the deal with that? what a shame!!)

I am thinking maybe the best solution is to hire someone to get under there and dig a trench lower than the pavers and maybe put up some thick plastic sheeting attached to the fence coming down over the dirt to keep all the mud and muddy water at bay, I want to paint the pavers but I've got to get rid of this mud/muddy water first.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We have a similar problem. My hub says that our larger gutters might eliminate most of the problem. Our patio drains away from the house...which is a plus. I had to put some of our wood furniture onto rubber casters to protect the feet.

As I have said, after seeing the Smart House deck and porch, I want a ceiling that can drain water from the upper deck into a water catchment system into rain barrels. I've seen this done years ago on a home improvement show. But now, I'm even more convinced this would be a benefit. More rain water for our garden, a definitely plus, along with more time on the porch when the weather isn't cooperating. How many of us can relate to this, especially THIS year?

Posts: 5235 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
If you dig a trench and put plastic along the fence, fill the trench with some gravel, like limestone (white rock). It will "stick" together better than other rock so it won't wash out, but will let any water flow through.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5048 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
My husband saw your photo. Says he would try digging out the mud from the gap and driving in a cedar or pressure-treated 1-by on its edge into the gap, leaving an inch or two of it sticking up to cover the very bottom of the fence. Metal landscaping edging might do the job too, but would look more obvious.

Posts: 4660 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Good idea Nettie! ((thumbs up))

Some times men ARE useful! Big Grin