Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting siding Sign In/Join 
posted
We have ugly minty green siding on parts of our brick house and I don't know if it's aluminum or vinyl. Can it be cleaned and painted? If so, how do we avoid chalking on the brick from the paint? Thanks

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Vinyl, steel or aluminum siding CAN be painted with the right prep, cleaning and primer/paint. Determine what you have, and ask for the right stuff to use at a pro paint store. There are different paints that perform better on certain surfaces. If the siding is not complicated in fitting (or extensive) you might also look to replacing it with a better color. If there was not insulation or tyvek installed under it, that might also be a good option weighing in on just replacing it.

Check the edges of the siding. Most of it now is vinyl at least very common. The color will go all the way through the material, so if you can remove a screw or check an edge it may tell you. Also vinyl needs to expand and contract with temp changes so it is not nailed tight, but has slots where it can slide on nail or screw.

Don't know what you mean by chalking on the brick??? Careful paint application as well as masking off areas to avoid either drips or over spray is common practice. AND a wet rag and spray bottle of water to wipe down any boo boos.

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Conrad,
Chalking is the formation of fine powder on the surface of the paint film due to weathering. Chalking can cause color fading. All paints chalk to some degree, it is a normal, desirable way for the paint film to wear away and provide a good surface for future repainting.

Generally, alkyd paints chalk more quickly and to a greater degree than acrylic latex coatings.

On most surfaces, especially white, slight chalking is helpful because dirt is washed away with the chalk when it rains.

Medium and heavy chalking will cause tinted paint to lose its color and become lighter. Severe chalking makes repainting a problem because the extreme porosity of the surface powder will adversely affect adhesion and does not provide the paint a sound surface to bond to. This is particularly true with water based paints which tend not to penetrate and therefore will bond only to the surface powder.

Quality paints may chalk mildly, but still maintain a sound surface that will not crack and retains good moisture and weather resistance for many years.

http://www.mcphersonpainting.com/chalking.htm

I painted my Hardiplank siding with a semigloss paint and haven't had any chaulking problems.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6865 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sparky.
I had not heard of chalking for a couple of decades at least, but now I do remember as you explained it. The newer paints are a lot less prone to it, I imagine? And fewer people choose white...which is the most likely to cause issue.
We have some siding on a few areas of our brick home (above the brick), and have not had issue with it, thus I did not think it was a problem any longer.

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hubby looked behind the siding and it doesn't have insulation or tyvek so, I think we'll just replace it. Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
mountain if it is alum siding? treat it like gold and sell..might pay for paint ect...we have baddies go around stripping alum siding on any old house and some not so old...

Posts: 8482 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post